Vista can't boot from USB hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnf4ultra

So I'm trying to install vista rc2 on my 400GB WD MyBook, which is usb, and I get an error message in the vista installer saying "windows does not support installing to drives with a usb or 1394 interface." So I think to myself, oh well, I'll pull the drive, put in in a pc and install vista on the drive, then put it back in the enclosure and use it. So I finally got the mybook disassembled (with help from google :)), and found the enclosure actually has a pretty nice drive inside, WD RE2 400GB SATA 16MB cache! I was totally expecting an EIDE PATA WD drive with 2MB or 8MB cache, so this was a huge bonus, but that's beside the point.

So then I put the bare drive in a pc and installed vista, slapped it back in the enclosure and it fails to boot (on the same machine that loaded vista to the drive) at "loading crcdisk." I can't get safe mode to work. I've tried a repair install of vista, to "fix the problems", but that didn't work either, it says it "can't fix the problem(s)..." So, I guess MS really doesn't want vista to be usb bootable. Is there any way to get this to work?

I was thinking of just buying a drive enclosure for the drive that has esata/sata on it so I can boot from it (this should work right, it's a sata interface instead of the MS "frowned on" usb/1394?), but I'm not sure if this would work. I basically want a vista external drive so I can test vista out (without the hassle of installing it on their main hard drives) on some computers to see how it runs before I actually buy it for those machines. Maybe what I want can't be done, I don't know.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

vnf4ultra said:
I basically want a vista external drive so I can test vista out (without the hassle of installing it on their main hard drives) on some computers to see how it runs before I actually buy it for those machines.

Only problem with that is the machines have to have identical hardware to the one you build it on, or like all NT based products it will probably fail to boot.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back