Vista, can't download anything no error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my girlfriend bought a new laptop with Vista SP1 recently and at one point she wasn't able to open any attached files in her e-mail on hotmail.com. She was using IE7 so I tried downloading Firefox, but same error, I couldn't save it on the drive or open the setup directly. I sent the setup file through the network and installed it on her machine. I also updated IE to IE8. However with both I got the same kind of error.

with IE8, the download starts and at the end it just stops for no reason. if I try to open the file when the download screen disappears nothing will pop up and if I try saving the files somewhere on the HDD it won't be there even if I saw the download window. btw the downloading windows disappears at the end of the download even if the "Close this dialog box when download is complete" unchecked

With Firefox if I try to open or save the file it will tell me that the file is empty(for PPS it tells me that the show contains no slides). on firefox if I save the file somewhere on the HDD I will see it but windows tells me that this file is empty (btw I tried downloading all those files on my computer and it works)
after a few tries on firefox I managed to open some files and slideshow but most of them still dont work.

I tried running IE without any add-ons (read that somewhere) but it didnt work.

I really don't know what is going on with her machine and I can't seems to find anyone with this kind of problem anywhere (and I looked a lot on the internet to find something similar)

Please help me.
and please don't tell I have to re-install her windows... that would... really sadden me :'(

You should be running Vista SP2 at least,lots of snags with drivers on SP1. Make sure windows update is on,check update history, and install updates as they are offered. Dont download them from the microsoft site, as you might miss some updates.

If SP2 does not help, I suspect you have infections. Please descibe what firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware is running, and if it is updated every day (AV and spyware). Then take a look at this thread on our page. Sooner or later, you are going to have to go there anyway......

https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

when you do, dont just extend this thread, please start a new thread in that forum. It may help to repeat the important bits of your initial post here - just the symptoms please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back