Vista Ultimate thinks my computer was made by Dell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I just upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate last night, as my permanent operating system. I have encountered no problems except one slight annoyance. When I open the system properties in Control Panel, it shows the Dell Logo everywhere and says that my computer was made by Dell. Obviously this is not the case. Does anyone know how I can remove, or at least change that logo?

I got it from a source not endorsed by Techspot. If you know what I mean.

I guess it probably is OEM. But isn't there a program somewhere that I can use to change that logo?

i think you know what you mean because that's the same for me :D

windows vista x86 oem permanently actived edition? haha

there might be a program for that but i don't know, i'd google it ;)

Yeah as far as I know theres no way of removing it, Thats just what you get with the dell version, "aquiring" a normal version would be youre best bet.

Oh, I believe there is a way. I think I read about it while looking at a thread on some forums website about a Stardock.com product. That leaves a very broad search... but I may find it. And it IS Vista x86 Permanantly Activated Edition ;) Won't say how I got it though.

Found something here... it doesn't let you remove the logo, but it lets you change it to something else. I changed it to a Core 2 Duo logo, so that it looks like it's just displaying a logo of my CPU :)

But I have a feeling that with some modification I can make that program remove the logo.

I have found a solution...

Alright this worked for me:

First browse to \Windows\System32\oobe\

remove all the image files that have DELL in the file name
(you'll recognize them)

Next, open up the registry editor by typing "regedit" w/o the quotes in the Run dialog box

browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
OEMInformation\

remove the keys referencing the dell information

browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winsat\WindowsExperienceIndexOemInfo\

remove dell keys

reboot

no more annoying dell bullcrap

lol not to be a ***** or w.e but if i am correct there is a boot leg copy out there of x64 ultimate that shows the dell logo.Did u download this off the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back