Vista upgrade problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Vista Home upgrade today and after checking that my computer was definitely able to upgrade I started the upgrade.

It was all going fine until it came to the point where it had to restart my computer. So it turned off and began to restart and then it came up with a black screen and said "press any button to boot from CD or DVD" so I ignored it as I assumed it knew what it was doing and then it came to the horrible black screen that says there has been an error and gives the options to open in safe mode or safe mode with networking or last known good config etc. So I selected last known good config and it began to reboot and did the exact same thing. So I took the CD out and clicked last known good config and it started fine. However when it started it came to the Vista upgrade page at the same point where it had left off before needing to reboot and then it came up with an error stating that it could not find the upgrade material and that it would reboot...... now its just stuck in a vicious cycle of not being able to start with the CD in and not being able to complete set up without the CD. I have tried putting the CD in half way through the reboot and it still won’t work.

What kind of damage has it done and does anyone know how to fix this??

(Apologies for the long post)

You need to do a fresh install, instead of an upgrade install. Reformat the hard drive and reinstall Vista

If he bought the "upgrade" version I suppose it is to do an upgrade & until not so long ago, no one even knew how to clean install the upgrade version. :p

When it boots & brings you to the different boot options, is it possible to select "normal mode" or something similar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back