Vista video drivers for ATI radeon 320m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a emachine M2350 that I upgraded from windows XP to Vista. The install went fine. But, there is a problem with the video. The WinXP drivers that I have for the ATI Radeon IGP 320M video are not compatible with vista. ATI(now AMD) states, it doesn't support mobile ATI video and tell you to get the drivers from the laptop company. There was no help at the Emachine web site. The only drivers for a M2350 (or any laptop with the same video) are for XP. Microsoft had nothing to offer. I can't find anything on the web but for WinXP drivers and below. Are there any suggestion?

an easy choice:use xp its better and more compatible with software and hardware
i dont know why you do like vista ,its sophisticated and have many problems
xp is better

I upgraded to vista because my EMachines M2350 would not bootup after I upgrading windows XP SP2. Here's my can of worms:
I had to change the HDD. I performed a restore with the recovery CDs that came with the laptop, which put me at Win XP SP1. But, when I upgraded to Win SP2 or even with a straight upgrade to SP3, the problem begins. The system would continuously boot, crash (Blue screen of Death), and reboot.etc... I had to do a system restore, to get it running again. Which puts me back to SP1.Therewas is a program that came with the laptop calee: BigFix, that would correct the problem before upgrading to SP2. It made registry change that made it able to upgrade to sp2. But the BigFix software is no longer supported on emachines. I'm sorry to say, that there is no assistance in the matter at emachines or microsofts web site

Ya know, I would be happy to use XP. But, the upgrading hassle is not worth it So, I decided to skip xp and tried Vista. Then, I was hit with the video problem discribed above.
But I do thank you for your time and imput. And, I'm open to more assistance.
Thanks again

Aside from the Vista compatible video drivers, where did you get the Vista compatible motherboard/chipset/sound drivers? Those have to be installed too whenever you install or reinstall an OS. You would normally go to eMachines for those drivers if they didn't come with the PC. If they are not available from eMachines, then I would say the M2350 is not Vista compatible.

while troubleshooting the video problem, I downloaded and ran the microsoft a vista compatiblity test. The Radeon IGP 320M was the only hardware that conflicted. I discovered after internet searching that this is a problem with any brand laptop with the ATI 320M video. You're right, with the video being onboard, I guess the laptop is not vista compatible. With so many laptops with that video, you'd think microsoft would try to resolve the issue

I'll probably just have to go back to XP and try to resolve the service pack upgrade problem.
This forom won't let me input a link, yet. But, if you search for: "eMachines M2350 won't boot after installing XP SP2", you;ll find the page that talks about the BigFix software's registry adjustment to allow an upgrade to SP2. It talk about deleting the following registry entry (and its subkeys):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\SYSPREP_TEMPORARY .
I don't know how to make the ACL adjustments to make the deletion possible.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

The hardware manufacturer has to come up with the driver, not Microsoft. Evidently, the hardware manufacturer has decided not to support Vista with this chipset.

In reading the BigFix reference you provided, it seemed to me that BigFix automatically deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\SYSPREP_TEMPORARY. BigFix does the ACL adjustments (whatever that is) before it deletes the registry entry. Anyway, that's my take on the matter.

ACL or access control list. It appears to deal with the security of the system. Modification are made using a ACL editor. That's all I know so far. I just started to read about it at microsoft. Anyway, as long as I got the recovery CDs, I can play, figure it out and learn. For me, that is what this is really all about.
Thank you for your input in the matter. You are very helpful.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back