Demiurg

This was news to me anyway. And I thought I wanted Sony's 24" display:

- Real 3-D imagery floats inside spherical display
- Resolution Breakthrough: approximately 100 million voxels
- 360-degree all-around viewing
- Approx. 10" diameter spherical image
- Swept-screen multiplanar volumetric display
- TI™ 1600 MIPS DSP high-performance embedded processor
- 6 Gbit DDR SDRAM (1 Gbit x 3 colors x 2 buffers)

And the price?:
- Volumetric 3-D Display (hardware): US$45,000
- Actuality Visualization Operating System (software): US$3,000
- Developer's Program and Software Development Kit: US$2,000/month
- Installation: US$2,100
- Hardware Support Programs: Basic (US$3,000/yr) and Premium ($7,000/yr)
- Software Support Programs: Basic (US$3,000/yr) and Premium ($7,000/yr)

Computerworld has an article about the display:

The display is the brainchild of Favalora, who has been playing with the problems of 3-D imaging since he was a child. Favalora is a 1996 graduate of Yale University and founded Actuality after being named a runner-up in MIT's $50k Entrepreneurship Competition. In 2000, he was named by MIT's Technology Review as one of the country's 100 visionaries under 35 who will drive the future of technology. Actuality has eight employees and has received $2.3 million in venture funding.

• 198-slice display
• 768 pixel x 768 pixel slice resolution
• 24 Hz volume refresh
• Hundreds of colors
• 8 colors at highest resolution (3-bit color)

can run a game at 640x480, but too bad it doesn't have enough color to make the graphic good.

The Actuality display has a resolution of 768 by 768 pixels by 198 planes by eight colors, for a total of 116 million voxels.

Would this not mean 8 colors per voxel, which could create many, many colors? I think this would work simliar to a television set's R-G-B coloring system, if this is indeed how the 8 colors are used.

Originally posted by Rick

Would this not mean 8 colors per voxel, which could create many, many colors? I think this would work simliar to a television set's R-G-B coloring system, if this is indeed how the 8 colors are used.
I was thinking the same. $45,000 it better show more than red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back