Voodoo 5 5500

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here’s the problem. Installed a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP into a PC chips M810 series motherboard.
Boot up no problem, detects new hardware, install drivers (tried Win2000’s drivers, and the latest voodoo drivers for W2K) After this I get windows starting up as normal, then when the blue screen with ‘press control-alt-delete’ is about to appear, the monitor goes into sleep mode. The signal just dies.....
I can run in safe mode and VGA mode, but not in normal mode. I suspect this is the only time that the actual voodoo drivers are being invoked.
I’ve removed the voodoo card and cleaned up any traces of software 3 times, and done a fresh install of the OS and still get the same problem…
Any ideas how to get round this?
Thanks,
Jay

Diff OS / Same Problem

Formatted hard drive, installed Win98.
Installed the win98 voodoo drivers off the CD that came with the card.
Restarted.
Got the Windows 98 flash screen THEN…….
The orange light comes on the monitor, card apparently no longer pumping the pictures…..
Can still boot into Safe mode (assume this using standard VGA drivers)
So, it’s not OS specific. If the card was broken, I assume it wouldn’t work at all? Is this a safe assumption?
If a motherboard has an AGP slot (mine is 4x I think) should any AGP card work with it?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

I'm not sure whats up with your card. Sounds like some part of it is malfunctioning. Your AGP slot needs to be at least AGP 2.0 compliant to be able to use the majority of todays AGP graphics cards. The new ATI 9700 Pro is 8x AGP compatible and I think it needs to be used in an AGP 3.0 compliant AGP port, x4 AGP suggests AGP 2.0 and this means that all cards prior to the ATI 9700 Pro should work in it.

Intel AGP specifications

I think that the R9700 will still work in 4x AGP slots - "8x Compatible" (as found on the ATi Site) suggests that it can take advantage of 8x. It does not say for example 8x AGP necessary.

Also, some AGP 3.0 slots will be able to take AGP 1.0 cards of the original voltage which has been removed from the AGP 3.0 spec, this will all depend on whether mobo manufacturers deem it necessary, as they can use a Universal AGP Slot. I can't remember where exactly I read this, but there was quiet an in-depth article recently.

I read that about the AGP 1.0 being removed. AGP 3.0 uses 0.8v while 2.0 uses 1.5v and 1.0 used 3.3v. Th3M1ghtyD8 is correct about being able to use the 9700 in AGP 2.0 boards.

I had the same problem, but found that installing new drivers fixed it...

Try the drivers listed here, or take a look at the forums here...

You should find some drivers that works with your system... :)

hope this helps..

.02$

Originally posted by Arris
I read that about the AGP 1.0 being removed. AGP 3.0 uses 0.8v while 2.0 uses 1.5v and 1.0 used 3.3v. Th3M1ghtyD8 is correct about being able to use the 9700 in AGP 2.0 boards.

AGP3.0 Article http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/diverses/agp30eng/5.shtml

When Intel created AGP 3.0, compatibility obviously wasn't an issue. Intel focused its attention on professional users and workstations. First of all, Intel lowered the signaling by 47% to 0.8V, while contemporaneously removing any support for AGP 3.3V. Still, motherboard manufacturers can add support for 3.3V signaling, by implementing the "Universal AGP 3.0 Motherboard" standard.

And finally, the one feature, which makes AGP 3.0 the best implementation of accelerated graphics ever: The possibility of having multiple AGP ports. This AGP 2.0 enhancement allows motherboard manufacturers, to create motherboards with more than one AGP slot. Due to the fact, that the use of a PCI card for a second or third display can slow down graphics big time, professionals have been waiting for this feature since AGP 1.0 was specified in the first place.

Multiple AGP slots ...... now if only I could afford 2 ATi Radeon 9700 Pros. :D :D :D

SOLUTION

Problem fixed by replacing the motherboard.
Some weirdy conflict somewhere. Definitely NOT a driver issue though
Jay:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back