Want to upgrade mobo but keep old CPU - doable?

temporae

Not sure if this idea can work but I want to make sure what options are available before I make a couple upgrades for my old rig.

About 3 years ago I built a desktop with Core i7 2600k and an Asus P67 Extreme4 (B3 rev) mobo. As I'm looking to upgrade a couple other components (video + 2nd hd), it's looking wise to upgrade the mobo while I'm at it. The thing is, I want to keep the CPU same as its been nothing but good for me (bottleneck always was vid card for my game purposes).

In essence I want to know if the following two points are feasible, considering what upgrade options I'm looking at (they're based on PCIe 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s):

- keep my old CPU, LGA 1155 Core i7 2600k
- upgrade to a newer mobo that supports PCIe 3 + SATA 6Gb/s

Is there a chipset around that would allow this, or are those interfaces too new for LGA 1155? I haven't kept up too much with CPU architecture and tech advances as I hadn't a need to, but now seems like the time. Some initial research doesn't seem to indicate that the LGA 1155 socket should exclude being able to support that tech, but someone more knowledgeable than myself I hope can point me in the right direction. Suggestions for new boards are also welcome that fit this scenario (if nothing fits, I'll have to figure out what next).

Thanks for help in advance,
temp

I would start with NewEgg power search in their motherboard section - using socket, SATA and PCI requirements you indicated. After finding some good ideas, I would check the motherboard manufacturer's list of CPUs for each motherboard.

Back