Wanting a trustworthy way to tweak XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bipolar_Gargoyl

:confused: I am looking for a way to "tweak" my pc. I want it to beable to get rid of the "clutter" that could be slowing it down. I also want to know if there is a relatively simple way for someone that knows nothing about "clocking" or things of that nature.

I downloaded a pdf, and was "SPUPID" enough to trust it and try to do what it said to do. It took me awhile to figure out that i was opening up my pc to anyone that wanted to get in. I didn't understan :confused: d the things i was doing at first. Then it said to turn off my firewalls and anit-virus. and download some programs, one had spyware, and i had to reboot my system. so i have a fresh hard drive. only some things have been put back in it. So if i need to reboot again, its no big deal.

Thanks Bipolar

Thanks Bipolar

Well you can try TweakXP for starters.

I've not delved into overclocking, but there are plenty others here who have :) Just wait for one of their answers.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I`m with Poertner here. I`ve never oc`d anything, but I know that it voids any warranty and can be harmful to your system if you get it wrong.

As to tweaking your os. HERE is a link to Blackvipers site that explains which Windows services you can disable, and also which ones you shouldn`t.

This can help to speed things up quite a bit.

Also doing some basic computer house cleaning can greatly improve performance.

I.E getting rid of temp files including internet temp file and cookies, and a good old defrag. Also getting rid or disabling programmes that you don`t need and cleaning the registry with a good reg cleaner.

I personally use Cleanmypc reg cleaner and have found it to be very usefull, also Ccleaner is a good little freeware programme.

http://www.registry-cleaner.net/

http://www.ccleaner.com/

And finally making sure that you have no virii or spyware adware etc will help speed things up if they are pesent.

This post HERE by RBS is a good place to start when looking for adware, spyware etc.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Thanks a lot for the info,i have downloaded the programs and they have done wonders already for the speed my pc, and boy did they get rid of a lot of stuff. I really do appreciate the help guys. I haven't had time to go thru blackvipers stuff yet but i plan on it as soon as my migraine gos away..lol

Bipolar

I'm not sure if oc'ing is "allowed" in this section(I think it goes in cooling), but yeah, I oc. It depends on what type of cpu you have how you do it. Intel is different than amd oc'ing. You also need a mobo that allows oc'ing, which almost all oem(dell, hp, etc) lack. So basically to oc you need to build you own or buy from abs, alienware, etc. There are some windows oc'ing utilities though.

Ok i was wrong, when i rebooted i "thought" i got rid of all the crap from before. i had to reboot again, this time i made sure that the drive was reformated. Now my ? is how do i get rid of the programs that come built into the factory cd? Like (aol, netscape, icq, compuserve)

LOL this must be very funny to some of you, it is for me.. getting stressed isn't goiing to help.

Bipolar

i finally search the whole site and realize, that my questions could have been answered without using the forum... leave it to me to make myself look like an A@@.

lmao.

Bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back