Warranty difference OEM hard drive vs "Retail"

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Spent a good while "chatting" w/ NewEgg & Seagate - India about OEM vs "Retail" hard drives.

NewEgg clearly states on their site that many "OEM" Seagate internal drives drives have 5 yr parts & labor "Manufacturer's Warranty" (on the specific HDD specs page).

Seagate - India, tells me that drives designated as OEM will NOT have any warranty (or support) honored by Seagate to the end user.

For those w/ experience in this, what's the actual truth about OEM drives & warranties, from NewEgg or any other E-tailer?

OEM you have to go by what the Manufacturer of company says as they're the one going to help you out. So OEM drives if you buy them from a vendor at a computer show they'll replacement for free. The vendor not the Manufacturer company. HDDs I just buy them wholesale and still get the protection from the manufacture. Unless NewEgg is going to protect after 5 years down the line, but you'll have to get that in writting..

Retail - Price is higher unless you get it on clearance then it would be the same price of OEM but you get protection

OEM - Price is cheaper low overhead
OEM - no hardware brackets
OEM - no retail box
OEM - no manual
OEM - no warranty (unless you a PC repair shop of PC vendor since you would buy in blunk)

Thanks for reply.

I'm not talking about buying from a trade show or a guy out of a van.

I'm talking about buying an OEM HDD from retailers like NewEgg, Directron, TigerDirect.

NewEgg clearly says for many OEM (Seagate) drives, "Manufacturers Warranty: 5yr parts & labor."

So question is, is NewEgg's info WRONG, or is Seagate (India) Warranty Support dept WRONG? They can't BOTH be right.

Past Experience Says Newegg is Right

I've returned both Seagate and Maxtor oem hard drives to the manufacturer and received replacement drives within a few days. I purchased one from Frye's and the other from Newegg.

Thanks.
I'm not talking about returning a drive (or any other component) in a few days.

I'm talking about a long warranty - 1, 3, 5 yrs.

So you never tried to get an OEM one replaced / repaired under the Mfg Warr after you owned it for 1 or 3 or 4 yrs (like Seagate)?

I'm not sure why this is so confusing to NewEgg & Seagate. Seems like a pretty straight forward question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back