Watch these 300 Android phones and tablets play Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' in beautiful harmony

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’ve ever wondered what a smattering of Android devices would sound like as part of a massive ensemble, wonder no more. Google’s Japanese team recently wired up a mix of 300 smartphones and tablets – each with their own avatar using the Androidify app – to sing Beethoven’s Ode to Joy, part of the final movement of his Ninth Symphony.

The demonstration was set up at the Omotesando Hills shopping complex in Tokyo. It’ll be on display until February 15 should you happen to be in the area and want to see it first-hand.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Unimpressed.

I would like to see thousands of phones used as one mega super jumbo-tron monitor screen. With all the phones we're throwing out or hoarding this is possible I think.

Civilization is spelled with a 'Z' and is represented by rock & roll, bald eagles, and crappy beer.

Beethoven is overplayed. :p
As is the G major chord that comprises most of "Ode to Joy". Ah, I probably shouldn't say anything about G major being over played. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. At least to the level of a class A misdemeanor.

I think you forgot Harley Davidson motorcycles and pickup trucks in your rebuttal.

Back