WD Caviar Green in 1.5gbps, performance loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deso

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a 2 tb caviar green hdd.
My motherboard only supports 1.5gbps sata so my question is.

Is 1.5gbps enough for the hdd to reach it's max read and write speed?

Or will it suffer performance loss because of the lower bandwidth?

It's read and write speed is around 100MB/s

The 2 TB drive is trouble for too many, regardless of brand. Stick with the 1.5 TB or smaller.
You won't have performance loss. If you want High performance, use a 250 or 320 GB hard drive.
Be sure you have the correct cables, that latch onto the drive, and are usable for SATA II

The 2 TB drive is trouble for too many, regardless of brand. Stick with the 1.5 TB or smaller.
You won't have performance loss. If you want High performance, use a 250 or 320 GB hard drive.
Be sure you have the correct cables, that latch onto the drive, and are usable for SATA II

Thanks for the reply

I think I'll go for the WD 1 TB caviar black instead.

This is to replace my 160 GB WD that I currently have my os installed on and have used it since 2004 or 2003.

I did some reading and noticed caviar green is intended for storage and have auto sleep on the drive so when you want to use it again it has to spin up too proper speed.

again, thanks for the reply

WD has 8MB, 16MB, and 32 MB caches. The higher mass storage devices generally go with the larger cache buffers...up to 64GB (1.5-2.0TB).

The Green versions vary on the model number by caches, with varying speeds from 5400-7200RPM. They meet the "green initiative by lowering the wattage used by running at lower speeds until the demand requires a faster RPM. All of the blacks I have seen for the bigger drives use a 32MB cache (2TB=64MB). Be sure to check the specs so you buy what you think you are buying. You will wait a long time if you ever decide to format or defrag a large drive in the 1-2TB range. Personally, I would stay with a 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA2 with a 32MB cache. That will give you a 3GB transfer rate at about half the price, and three times bigger than your original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back