WD JB80 in foreign coding???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm in a bit of a pickle. I own a WD JB 80 hard disc that I had been using in a friends computer for video editing. I moved away about 4 months ago to another state which means moving the hard disc to my own computer. I have tride alot of things in my computer and others that have tried in theirs but we can only get as far as it showing the device as "working properly" but not being able to view it/access its data.

I then took it to the local 'tec shop' and the guy told me that the data on the hard disc is in foreign coding. I told him that I didn't want to reformat it as it contained data that is very valuable. He then told me that the data was able to be converted but it might loose some data.

The only safe option he left me with was to take the hard disc to the origional computer. Copy the contents over to another hard drive ( not a WD JB 80 and hope it dosent do the same thing.

My question is.
Does anyone know weather there is safe way of accessing my data without me traveling across state to get it?

THanks, Michael

Can you give us the specs of the 'original' computer and of your own computer?
The only difference could be, if one PC is a Mac and the other an IBM-compatible.
Then there is the issue of 40-pin or 80-pin IDE cable and the Master/Slave settings.
What Windows version on those PCs?

If that HD was the main/master drive in the other PC, it will almost certainly have an 'active' partition, which clashes with the active partition on your own PC. You can have only 1 active partition at the time.
A program like Partition Magic could solve this problem.

I have never heard of foreign coding, unless foreign means another language as in French, German etc. which has nothing to do with your problem.

Unless... was this HD maybe hooked up with an IDE-SATA converter?
as in http://www.coolerstar.com/idetosaco.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back