Webcam not working

HarlequinPuppet

I'm not sure if this is in the right section so I hope someone can help me.
I have a Toshiba Satellite L500D with an inbuilt webcam which has stopped working.
I tried to open the webcam application that comes with the laptop and it said the webcam was being used by another program, which it wasn't, so I went into Task Manager to end the process. I tried it with MSN and it froze and MSN crashed. I restarted my laptop and then an error came up saying "Web Camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer." I tried uninstalling the program and downloaded the device driver again but it's not working. It says the driver software is up to date but in device manager it doesn't recognise the webcam anymore and is now an Unknown Device and in its properties it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I don't know what this means, does anyone know how to fix it?

Hi HarlequinPuppet

I checked Toshiba's support site here

1. You might check for the downloads there also for your specific model
2. And as to your model, you'd need be more specifc as looks like there are 6 or so different Toshiba L500D models (note the STxxxx after each one)

Which exact model do you have? Also, try this, might reveal something
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Back