Webcam that won't crash my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

I wonder whether you good people have a webcam that didn't cause you too much trouble installing the software and making it work.

I bought a Logitech E2500 one and it just crashes the computer everytime I try and launch it.

I've Googled it and it seems that Logitech's drivers are too large for most computers and this is the problem.

I am seriously thinking of taking it back to the shops and getting another make, but which one should I get that doesn't cause too many problems?

The problem is likely elsewhere. We have installed a large number of Logitech cambers with nary a problem.
However, as long as you stay away from the Ipevo PoV, you will be ok.

We like the Creative Live Ultra, Logitech QuickCam Pro, Optia AF by Creative, iSight WebCam, LogiTech 5000, Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro, Microsoft series such as the Life Cam VX5500, and the QuickCam Fusion...

Be aware that for best performance, you need really strong light... none are good in dull illumination.

just fyi...

i just recently happened to discover something very strange about Logitech Cams.
=> Logitech's driver installs a "filter" driver in addition the webcam driver
=> Filter drivers (simply "filters") are typically used to augment a device driver
=> Logitech's filter driver (LVUSBSta.sys) is applied to EVERY media device on your computer (I happened to discover it while looking at someones Sigmatel Hi Def sound problem and found it along with the Sigmatel driver)
- AND uninstalling the Logitech driver DOES NOT uninstall the filter driver

There's been a lot of question as to why this filter exists let alone why it's not uninstalled when the webcam is uninstalled. Many people have claimed crashes or other problems due to it. I have not yet seen any response (or change) about it from Logitech

I feel your frustration.

I've got a "high-end" webcam, the Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000. It used to work decently enough but I cannot get the thing to cooperate at all with my installation of 64-bit Vista. Would not recommend this cam -- the drivers are total rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back