1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend Open Forum: Do you use ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft?

By Shawn Knight ยท 43 replies
Aug 4, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Ride-hailing providers like Uber and Lyft have found tremendous success by modernizing personal transportation through the use of technology. The end result is a service that’s generally viewed as being far superior to the established way that also provides many with a viable side hustle.

With this week’s open forum, we’re curious to hear about your experiences with ride-hailing services. Do you utilize such services to get around town on a regular basis or is your region too small to support these platforms? Maybe you have your own car? Perhaps you earn some extra income by driving others around? Whatever the case, we’d love to hear your thoughts!

Image courtesy David Williams, Bloomberg

Permalink to story.

2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 2,428   +457

The few times iv needed a cab uber cost more then the local cab company. So no.

3. OcelotRex

OcelotRex TS Guru Posts: 539   +294

m4a4 and EClyde like this.
  4. mcborge

mcborge TS Guru Posts: 550   +451

No, local cab company's are more reliable and often cost less were I live.

5. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,759   +632

My cat drives me

6. erickmendes

erickmendes TS Evangelist Posts: 561   +246

I live in Brasil, there's a lot of TAX in everything... So Uber is cheaper. I use it at leat four times a week. Some colleagues from work use it to commute everyday because it's cheaper then having 2 cars for a small family.

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,139   +3,561

Oh heck no, if it's not a mule it's the Pick up truck .... occasionally pulled by the mule ....

BabyFaceLee likes this.
  8. I use Uber every now and then. Cheaper rates (they have an edge on local taxi cos. of a few dollars) and much cleaner cars.

9. Nope. Legislation here in Denmark prohibits those kinds of companies. Only regular licensed taxi companies are allowed.

And... I have my own car ;-)

10. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,395   +965

I have my own car with my own music. Doesn't get much better than that.

gcarter likes this.
  11. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Guru Posts: 449   +35

Yes. Have used Uber and Ola, they are definitely proven very useful if you are traveling to another city.

12. J spot

J spot TS Maniac Posts: 219   +139

So is Uber basically a person gets to use their own car, wear and tear driving other people around, and then give a cut to a company profiting billions of dollars off of them?

If it is, I really don't like that middleman concept.

Again, I'm no Uber expert, but they sound like leeches who came up with a great idea of making an insane amount of money. If at least they provided and maintained their own cars I would understand, but it's all just code that takes up memory.

13. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 8,193   +1,256

I use Uber when traveling, it's just so much better and easier than the traditional cab service. In some cases even cheaper, but quality of service will depend on the country.

davislane1 and erickmendes like this.
  14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,286

No need to. I have 3 vehicles of my own, and a bicycle which I tend to use more often than any of my cars. With my wife now disabled and unable to drive anymore, and with the kids married and out of the house I certainly don't need 3 cars anymore. I've been intending to get rid of one but haven't got around to it yet. I must get off my a$$ and get around to it, there's money lying there doing nothing... in fact I'm losing money, I still pay the licence & insurance on it.

15. BabyFaceLee

BabyFaceLee TS Booster Posts: 125   +44

Nope. Not interested.

16. dirtyferret

dirtyferret TS Evangelist Posts: 495   +519

When in NYC and going out to dinner with the wife I'll use swift since they constantly send me $5 off coupons. If it's just me I use the subway, she hates the subway.

17. erickmendes

erickmendes TS Evangelist Posts: 561   +246

For everyone who said who have a vehicle... I got one too... But I'm married and got a son. Our house income don't allow us to have/keep 2 cars, still I work 2km from my workplace and the only thing I bring to work is my cellphone.
    My wife work close to our home too, but where we live it's still safer for her to get back to home by car. So juggling one car sometimes get's easier with the occasional Uber.

18. Uber loses money hand over fist. Even so, playing middleman is hardly being a leech. Recall that without said middle man 99% of Uber/Lyft drivers would not be able to monetize their vehicles.

19. Don't forget cheaper. You don't have to pay for the car note, insurance, gas, and maintenance with an Uber.

erickmendes likes this.
  20. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,092   +1,542

Not yet, but I see the time coming soon. Here in Seattle taxi's primarily service the airport and downtown Seattle. Beyond that and you really have to rely on Uber.

21. Carmaine

Carmaine TS Booster Posts: 53   +36

We've been leaning on Uber for quite some time now. There's a bunch of occasions where we would go bar hopping or clubbing and no one wants to be DD. Lol. That being said, there's been many times in the past where taxis would completely miss where we are and just leave. With Uber, we Haven't had that problem with after using it at least 80 - 100 times. At least here where we live anyway.

22. Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez TS Enthusiast Posts: 73   +20

These services are dangerous. I am waiting for the world to realize that insurance is not going to cover you in these vehicles. If you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes, you need that insurance. Personal insurance coverage will not cover you.

I like that someone pushed taxi services to be more than just the same tired old inconvenient system of either hail a cab or call a cab. Aside from that, we should be using the system to hail properly insured and maintained cabs. Not hitchhiking with phone apps.

23. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,438   +601

Yes I use Uber all the time.

I rarely use taxi's too expensive and I've been rejected by a driver for my trip not being far enough. At that point you obviously don't want my business never a problem with Uber.

24. OcelotRex

I have a son, 2 daughters and a wife. Imagine trying to put 3 car seats in whatever pulls up in front of us? How many Ubers or Lyfts can seat 6 (including the driver)?

Be an adult - buy a car.

25. OcelotRex

Spends $100's a week clubbing and bar hopping, can't afford vehicle. Makes sense.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...