Weekend Open Forum: Do you use ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Ride-hailing providers like Uber and Lyft have found tremendous success by modernizing personal transportation through the use of technology. The end result is a service that’s generally viewed as being far superior to the established way that also provides many with a viable side hustle.

With this week’s open forum, we’re curious to hear about your experiences with ride-hailing services. Do you utilize such services to get around town on a regular basis or is your region too small to support these platforms? Maybe you have your own car? Perhaps you earn some extra income by driving others around? Whatever the case, we’d love to hear your thoughts!

Image courtesy David Williams, Bloomberg

Permalink to story.

I live in Brasil, there's a lot of TAX in everything... So Uber is cheaper. I use it at leat four times a week. Some colleagues from work use it to commute everyday because it's cheaper then having 2 cars for a small family.

I use Uber every now and then. Cheaper rates (they have an edge on local taxi cos. of a few dollars) and much cleaner cars.

Nope. Legislation here in Denmark prohibits those kinds of companies. Only regular licensed taxi companies are allowed.

And... I have my own car ;-)

So is Uber basically a person gets to use their own car, wear and tear driving other people around, and then give a cut to a company profiting billions of dollars off of them?

If it is, I really don't like that middleman concept.

Again, I'm no Uber expert, but they sound like leeches who came up with a great idea of making an insane amount of money. If at least they provided and maintained their own cars I would understand, but it's all just code that takes up memory.

No need to. I have 3 vehicles of my own, and a bicycle which I tend to use more often than any of my cars. With my wife now disabled and unable to drive anymore, and with the kids married and out of the house I certainly don't need 3 cars anymore. I've been intending to get rid of one but haven't got around to it yet. I must get off my a$$ and get around to it, there's money lying there doing nothing... in fact I'm losing money, I still pay the licence & insurance on it.

When in NYC and going out to dinner with the wife I'll use swift since they constantly send me $5 off coupons. If it's just me I use the subway, she hates the subway.

For everyone who said who have a vehicle... I got one too... But I'm married and got a son. Our house income don't allow us to have/keep 2 cars, still I work 2km from my workplace and the only thing I bring to work is my cellphone.
My wife work close to our home too, but where we live it's still safer for her to get back to home by car. So juggling one car sometimes get's easier with the occasional Uber.

So is Uber basically a person gets to use their own car, wear and tear driving other people around, and then give a cut to a company profiting billions of dollars off of them?

If it is, I really don't like that middleman concept.

Again, I'm no Uber expert, but they sound like leeches who came up with a great idea of making an insane amount of money. If at least they provided and maintained their own cars I would understand, but it's all just code that takes up memory.

Uber loses money hand over fist. Even so, playing middleman is hardly being a leech. Recall that without said middle man 99% of Uber/Lyft drivers would not be able to monetize their vehicles.

For everyone who said who have a vehicle... I got one too... But I'm married and got a son. Our house income don't allow us to have/keep 2 cars, still I work 2km from my workplace and the only thing I bring to work is my cellphone.
My wife work close to our home too, but where we live it's still safer for her to get back to home by car. So juggling one car sometimes get's easier with the occasional Uber.

Don't forget cheaper. You don't have to pay for the car note, insurance, gas, and maintenance with an Uber.

Not yet, but I see the time coming soon. Here in Seattle taxi's primarily service the airport and downtown Seattle. Beyond that and you really have to rely on Uber.

We've been leaning on Uber for quite some time now. There's a bunch of occasions where we would go bar hopping or clubbing and no one wants to be DD. Lol. That being said, there's been many times in the past where taxis would completely miss where we are and just leave. With Uber, we Haven't had that problem with after using it at least 80 - 100 times. At least here where we live anyway.

These services are dangerous. I am waiting for the world to realize that insurance is not going to cover you in these vehicles. If you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes, you need that insurance. Personal insurance coverage will not cover you.

I like that someone pushed taxi services to be more than just the same tired old inconvenient system of either hail a cab or call a cab. Aside from that, we should be using the system to hail properly insured and maintained cabs. Not hitchhiking with phone apps.

Yes I use Uber all the time.

I rarely use taxi's too expensive and I've been rejected by a driver for my trip not being far enough. At that point you obviously don't want my business never a problem with Uber.

I have a son, 2 daughters and a wife. Imagine trying to put 3 car seats in whatever pulls up in front of us? How many Ubers or Lyfts can seat 6 (including the driver)?

Be an adult - buy a car.

We've been leaning on Uber for quite some time now. There's a bunch of occasions where we would go bar hopping or clubbing and no one wants to be DD. Lol. That being said, there's been many times in the past where taxis would completely miss where we are and just leave. With Uber, we Haven't had that problem with after using it at least 80 - 100 times. At least here where we live anyway.
Spends $100's a week clubbing and bar hopping, can't afford vehicle. Makes sense.

Back