Weekend Open Forum: Will you try the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Jos

Staff

Although Microsoft has set the potential launch date for the final version of Windows 10 sometime around mid-2015, the company is already offering early birds a preview version of the operating system. What’s more, this isn’t limited to TechNet and MSDN subscribers but anyone who’s curious to get a first glimpse at all the desktop-friendly improvements it purportedly brings.

Being the tech enthusiast that you are we want to know: will you be beta testing the OS? Or if you’ve already taken it for a spin, tell us your thoughts...

Permalink to story.

After the awesome upgrade that was Windows 7.. it's probably too hard to top that. I tried the Windows 10 pre but lost interest in it quickly. It's not like Vista/7/8/8.1/10 aren't all the same thing more or less anyway.

Been running in a VM since it was released and I like it.

This will finally get me off windows 7 I just want them to give us the options to enable Aero again.

Just slap a warning on the check box so laptop users know it will affect battery life.

Have had it running a few days now, so far so good, except not picking up an external HD that I confirmed good on another OS. CPU usage on some things seems higher than I'd expect, but I'm not sure if its Windows 10 causing it or just something else. Noticing it streaming audio from mlb.tv and also when I watched some video on tbs.com earlier. I didn't do those things in Win 7, so maybe its not OS related.

I'm trying it now, I'm so used to W8.1 that I don't care for it very much. it seems slow and shaky. I got along just fine without the start menu.
But I will keep using the TP hoping for the best.

With my 1 mega bit DSL internet service, Windows 10 would likely be in the stores by the time I finished downloading it. So, I'll just wait for it to complete its run in the movies, and then buy the DVD......:D

I've downloaded it, but haven't got around to VMing it yet...

I've heard good things from my buddies though...

As long as you can kill metro I really like the under the hood inprovments of 8 over 7 do 10 should be amazing.

Using it now .... nothing special about it. The Menu is .. meh. Better than 8 or 8.1 but nowhere near as good as past menus.

I've tried it. Still feels like Windows 8. Just with a traditional start menu. So...blah!!!!
Thats kind of an odd stance.. Windows 8, if you get away from the Metro interface, is superior or equal to 7 in every way. Windows 10 gets rid of Metro, although the tiles carry through a bit. A slightly different start menu should not even come close to negating the other benefits that 8 and now 10 provide over 7.

As long as I can get the ISO file from microsoft, I will try it in the vmware.

....[ ].... Windows 10 gets rid of Metro, although the tiles carry through a bit....[ ]....

From a psychological / marketing standpoint, the tiles had to carry over. Quite simply, to remove them, would be tantamount to M$ admitting "Metro" was a huge mistake. The actuality of whether or not it was, at this stage, is pretty much moot.

Last edited:
Thats kind of an odd stance.. Windows 8, if you get away from the Metro interface, is superior or equal to 7 in every way. Windows 10 gets rid of Metro, although the tiles carry through a bit. A slightly different start menu should not even come close to negating the other benefits that 8 and now 10 provide over 7.

Well, you say Windows 10 gets rid of Metro but not really. Because I see square windows and pastel colors as part of the Metro UI. So, they took out parts of Metro. The flat look is still there. So, my comments seem pretty accurate to me. Windows 10 feels like 8.1 with a start menu and a couple of other improvements I am sure. The PC settings screen didn't change. It's just launched from the start menu now instead of the charms bar.

The operating system still feels like it has a man in the middle versus letting the user interact with the operating system directly. I think Microsoft wants it that way. I will probably never like it as much as Windows 7. But who knows. If Microsoft truly delivers on their intentions of a 'custom experience for each device' then it may have a stronger appeal to me someday.

Last edited:
Well, I only had a moment to boot it up on a VM. When VBox extension pack didn't successfully install, I set it aside for the time being. There is a workaround apparently but I've just been busy with other things.

One of my buddies installed it on an old XP based Toshiba laptop and it seems to be pretty lightweight. The OS was pretty responsive and it was only using .9 of 2GB of RAM.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but I'm tired of being a beta tester for OS's. Especially after the disaster Win 8 was.

I'll let everyone else figure this one out and decide after I see some feedback whether to go for it or not.

Back