Weekend tech reading: Google cars can drive themselves

Matthew DeCarlo

What we're driving at Larry and Sergey founded Google because they wanted to help solve really big problems using technology. And one of the big problems we’re working on today is car safety and efficiency. Our goal is to help prevent traffic accidents, free up people’s time and reduce carbon emissions by fundamentally changing car use. So we have developed technology for cars that can drive themselves... Google Blog

Body organs can send status updates to your cellphone For cardiac patients such as myself, too much excitement can be a shocking experience. If my heart rate gets too high the implanted defibrillator in my chest can think I'm having a heart attack and give me a friendly remedial shock. But such nasty surprises could soon become less of a concern for people like me – by giving our hearts their very own IP addresses. NewScientist

Trojan forces Firefox to save your passwords A Firefox Trojan has been found to force the Internet browser to save user passwords and then use those passwords to create a new user account on the infected computer. The Trojan-PWS-Nslog malware discovered by security company Webroot, however, gets around user preferences altogether by actually deactivating the Firefox code that asks if it should save those passwords when the user logs into a secure site. PCWorld

Canonical releases Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Canonical and the Ubuntu developers have announced the arrival of version 10.10 of their popular Ubuntu Linux distribution, code named "Maverick Meerkat". Ubuntu 10.10 is the first standard release to be issued following the latest Long Term Support (LTS) edition of Ubuntu, 10.04 LTS, and includes an updated look and feel, a new installer and improved hardware support. H-Online

BioWare, Turbine, EA Mythic, Sony, and more explain how they keep online worlds alive As fans of Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, and Fury can attest to, massively multiplayer online games sometimes don't have large-scale life spans to match. Each panelist has experience running MMOGs that are at least five years old, and they agreed to share some of their strategies for acquiring new players and keeping old ones. Gamespot

Permalink to story.

Leave it to the company that transformed human interaction through technology to create an automobile that does not need a driver: the Google car. It's actually an extensively modified Toyota Prius loaded with receptors and software package that has logged thousands of miles with humans along for the ride. The Google automobile is one of many projects on a growing list the search-engine company has initiated recently that seek to establish new technological directions in key industries. This car is worth taking out a pay day loan for.

Back