Wei score went down?

zSenateKT

Yesterday I upgraded my RAM (or at least thought I did). I went from 8gig DDR3 10666 Of the stock memory that came installed in my system, to 16gig ddr3 12800 (8 x2 dual channel) PNY performance edition gaming ram. My windows experience index score on my memory went from 7.7 to 7.5. What's with the drop in score and should I be concerned about it?

Current other specs
Windows 8 64bit
Acer mobo
Intel i5 3330
Evga gtx770 OC
700wat PSU

Which spot specifically dropped, WEI is not too reliable as a score center for a PC because dpending on "Luck" and "Timing", your PC could score higher than it should. When I run my WEI, I get an 8.1, yet it will sometimes be a 7.9, and sometimes an 8.2 if im lucky.

The memory score fell, scanned soon as I installed new memory.
Ok a couple of things to check:

1: Go Into the bios and make sure the memory is set to the frequency its supposed to run at
2: Check the timing compared to your old ram and see whose is lower

If all that checks out, then we can go from there, but sometimes the motherboard defaults to lower speeds.

I went into the bios already and was unable to find anything regarding ram speed or ram at all. There was nothing in the bios. The new ram is 12800 old is 10666 both running 1600mhz with the new ram being lower latency times.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8045513&MobileOptOut=1

That is the new ram I installed replacing the 8 gig stock chip that came installed in my gateway desktop. I feel like that new ram should be faster and score higher on the windows benchmark....

Download this application and look at the RAM tab while running both sets of memory. Then compare the results.

Piriform Speccy (Creators of CCleaner and Defraggler)
speccy1.png

High performance RAM sometimes requires a voltage tweak in BIOS to give of it's best. Perhaps, even a latency setting.

And unless this is a stock Intel board, or a store bought pre-built computer, there is something in RAM. You probably didn't hit the right tab yet.

If there really aren't any settings addressed toward RAM in your board, next built, buy a different brand.

"Addressed toward RAM". Do you see what I did there?

Ya sucks, its a prebuilt gateway that I got for free. It had a good CPU in it so I just added a few things and turned it into a decent gaming computer.

Can you download some kind of system information utility and determine how fast those modules are running?

I used to recommend "SIW", but they discontinued the freeware version.

("System Information for Windows", by Gabriel Topola).

I have a eMachines T-5026, with an Intel 915GAG board. eMachines actually had their version of the board, built without a PCI-E socket. (The holes are there, and a bought board from Intel would have it).

They kind of install crap stock PSUs, and I suppose that prevented customers from installing a high draw video card, and destroying it.

WEI you can look in the system32 folder for these two files: [FONT=arial]ActionCenter.dll ActionCenterCPL.dll rename both to [/FONT][FONT=arial]ActionCenter.old ActionCenterCPL.old. [/FONT]

Back