Weird error when my PC shuts down or restarts

Cubeputer

Whenever I shut down or restart, my PC gives me an error that says something about referenced memory at 0000000000000xx something could not be read. Also, recently when I restart, it says ccSvcHst is preventing the PC from shutting down. I do have Norton, which apparently causes this, but I also read that there are lookalikes that are viruses. Maybe these issues are correlated, maybe not, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (Sorry for the imgBB link, Techspot wasn't letting me put a 3 MB image lmao)

I think the easy thing to do is to remove Norton with Norton Removal Tool from their website. You can of course re-install it later. Just do this as a test to see if the error is gone.

Perhaps Norton is really trying to scan or remove something that it doesn't like and wants to finish when you shut the PC down? Maybe you could update Norton and let it do a full system scan then try shutting down. Maybe the error will be gone under those conditions?

I think the easy thing to do is to remove Norton with Norton Removal Tool from their website. You can of course re-install it later. Just do this as a test to see if the error is gone.

Perhaps Norton is really trying to scan or remove something that it doesn't like and wants to finish when you shut the PC down? Maybe you could update Norton and let it do a full system scan then try shutting down. Maybe the error will be gone under those conditions?
I did a full scan and the Norton error disappeared, but the memory error thingy was still there, but if it doesn't mean anything bad, I don't need to go through the trouble of removing it, because it doesn't bother me too much.

If the memory error is still there and Norton is part of it...maybe uninstall/reinstall Norton might fix it?

I Googled >> What is NF.exe and it said it was part of Norton. Maybe you could search the location of the exe file to see where it is located on your machine?

I tried using one of those Jpeg converter things, and it still was too large to upload
OK, I don't see how that's possible. With that said, I cheat and use "Photoshop Elements", which is a freestanding program, not the Adobe subscription model. I have no trouble reaching the under 1 meg.target, even with images from high resolution DSLRs.

If the image you tried to upload was a screenshot from Windows. I'm guessing that Windows will only allow a full screen capture. I use a free version of "Screen Hunter", which allows the user to select only the area desired, thus yielding smaller files.I think Windows will allow capture as "TIFF" files, which are huge

But enough about me.

Thus far, you haven't been disposed of telling us which version of Windows you're using. My semi-educated guess is Windows 10..And I'm going to proceed on that assumption

Disclaimer, I know Jack squat about Win 10. But, that's not going to deter me, from claiming the right of, :"fools to rush in where angels fear to tread"..

First off, early versions of "Windows Defender" were pretty much either a hoax or a cruel joke. As of Win 10, Defender receives very good ratings. My point being, you may not even need Norton on the machine.

Most AV solutions need special tools to remove them from their publisher, as they deeply embed themselves in the Windows kernel. The simple add/remove programs function may not be sufficient to get rid of it completely.

Anecdotally, I had a similar issue on an XP machine, which, "cleared itself", after a major AVG update.

There is a small chance that the memory cell is bad. Please note that IDK how many memory errors the machine's firmware will allow before it fails to POST.

A simple program "MemTest86", will scan the entire memory block for errors.

Also, Windows files.are hidden by default. You may have to logon as administrator to access them.

@Kshipper Please feel free to jump in and correct anything you feel I've misspoken about.

OK, I don't see how that's possible. With that said, I cheat and use "Photoshop Elements", which is a freestanding program, not the Adobe subscription model. I have no trouble reaching the under 1 meg.target, even with images from high resolution DSLRs.

If the image you tried to upload was a screenshot from Windows. I'm guessing that Windows will only allow a full screen capture. I use a free version of "Screen Hunter", which allows the user to select only the area desired, thus yielding smaller files.I think Windows will allow capture as "TIFF" files, which are huge

But enough about me.

Thus far, you haven't been disposed of telling us which version of Windows you're using. My semi-educated guess is Windows 10..And I'm going to proceed on that assumption

Disclaimer, I know Jack squat about Win 10. But, that's not going to deter me, from claiming the right of, :"fools to rush in where angels fear to tread"..

First off, early versions of "Windows Defender" were pretty much either a hoax or a cruel joke. As of Win 10, Defender receives very good ratings. My point being, you may not even need Norton on the machine.

Most AV solutions need special tools to remove them from their publisher, as they deeply embed themselves in the Windows kernel. The simple add/remove programs function may not be sufficient to get rid of it completely.

Anecdotally, I had a similar issue on an XP machine, which, "cleared itself", after a major AVG update.

There is a small chance that the memory cell is bad. Please note that IDK how many memory errors the machine's firmware will allow before it fails to POST.

A simple program "MemTest86", will scan the entire memory block for errors.

Also, Windows files.are hidden by default. You may have to logon as administrator to access them.

@Kshipper Please feel free to jump in and correct anything you feel I've misspoken about.
As for the jpeg thingy, my phone takes high res photos at 4032 x 3024, when emailing it to myself it converted it automatically, then I guess when I tried to convert it, it didn’t do anything because it already was converted. Idk. I will run the memory test and edit this message with the results.

IMG-1836.jpg

(Sorry for the imgBB link, Techspot wasn't letting me put a 3 MB image lmao)
You don'y have to apologize for linking the photo, as that's how most images are posted.

But, you should use the photo linking procedure to do it. To the right of the link symbol, you'll see an icon that looks like a postcard. Click on that, and it gives you the option to either link by address, or drop and drag the image into the box. With this method, the imported image will appear at full column width, as I've demonstrated above. Then, if you click on it, it will show full size. Cheers.

IMG-1836.jpg

You don'y have to apologize for linking the photo, as that's how most images are posted.

But, you should use the photo linking procedure to do it. To the right of the link symbol, you'll see an icon that looks like a postcard. Click on that, and it gives you the option to either link by address, or drop and drag the image into the box. With this method, the imported image will appear at full column width, as I've demonstrated above. Then, if you click on it, it will show full size. Cheers.
My bad, I will do that next time if I need. As for what version of windows I’m running, since I missed it in my last reply, is windows 10. Sorry for not including that

Back