Western Digital's new portable SSDs focus on speed

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Traditional mechanical hard drives are still more than adequate for most local back up jobs but if you plan to take your data with you on the go, the durability and speed of flash memory like the kind used in Western Digital's new My Passport SSD is an invaluable asset.

Western Digital on Thursday introduced a new generation of its My Passport portable solid state drive that is faster than ever.

The company’s new NVMe-based drives, compatible with PC and Mac, boast read speeds of up to 1,050MB/s and write speeds of up to 1,000MB/s across a USB 3.2 Gen-2 connection. Western Digital said the drives’ metallic chassis is both stylish and durable, offering shock and vibration resistance. The SSDs are also rated to survive drops from as high as 6.5 feet.

WD’s included backup software should make it easy to back up data to the drive and / or your preferred cloud service account. Password-protected 256-bit AES hardware encryption is employed for security purposes.

The storage provider notes that all drives come backed by a five-year limited warranty and will eventually be available in a variety of colors including gray, blue, gold and red, and in capacities up to 2TB.

For now, customers will have to settle for a 500GB or 1TB drive in gray, priced at $119.99 and $189.99, respectively. Both are available from today through Western Digital’s online store. The 2TB drive will carry an MSRP of $359.99 when it arrives later this year alongside additional color options for all capacities.

Permalink to story.

I honestly don’t see the point of external SSD.

External HDD are cheaper, far larger in capacity and... what are you doing besides moving files and programs back and forth to a computer?

I’m sure someone else may see the need, but I cannot imagine running any programs off of it.

Last edited:
There are occasions when files are so large (multi-layered CAD files for systems like MicroStation or some of those mega-video files) that there is an advantage to the speed but other than those I can't think of anything that would demand it.

External HDD are cheaper and what are you doing besides moving files and programs back and forth to a computer?

I’m sure someone else may see the need, but I cannot imagine running any programs off of it.
I can't see any reasons any - quick offsite backups - nah
Grabbing a bunch of media files for a Island family holiday yea-nah
Using a computer not your own to d/l stuff - hell no! ( std portables - no good for multiple writing and reading )
Off loading media production in the field for back up or extra shooting space 8K anyone - hey no.

Sharing stuff with friends with poor internet connections. nope

Fast Storage for consoles limited to 1TB slow internals - NEVER

you are right absolutely no need for these toys -

No I do not own any T5s or any encased SSD drives - no sir not me.

I can't see any reasons any - quick offsite backups - nah
Grabbing a bunch of media files for a Island family holiday yea-nah
Using a computer not your own to d/l stuff - hell no! ( std portables - no good for multiple writing and reading )
Off loading media production in the field for back up or extra shooting space 8K anyone - hey no.

Sharing stuff with friends with poor internet connections. nope

Fast Storage for consoles limited to 1TB slow internals - NEVER

you are right absolutely no need for these toys -

No I do not own any T5s or any encased SSD drives - no sir not me.

Could you keep Windows 10 and a bunch of programs on it and boot into Windows 10 on the SSD and then use the programs as if it was a regular computer?

External HDD are cheaper, far larger in capacity and... what are you doing besides moving files and programs back and forth to a computer?

NO MOVING PARTS to bang around during transport.

Back