What Do I Need

Cycloid Torus

Idea for a permanent feature: "What Do I Need In Order To Do What I Want?"

Somewhat like the pcpartpicker approach, describing the equipment you have and identifying what needs to be upgraded in order to 'do it'. The targeted 'it' could be 1080p to 1440p... or faster compilation...or running a certain game at a certain resolution, etc.

Somewhat similar to what we did here (without the giveaway component)?
How does pcpartpicker do it?

As I see it, this implementation would start with a page like https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ (System Builder) - but the focus would be on 'what do you want to do?' defined in hardware capabilities. This might be similar to the 'minimum' and 'recommended' system descriptions found on Steam. The desired result is a well defined hardware requirement (possibly with different level for budget, full function and future-proofing.

As the current working components are added to the system - starting with OS - the beginning of the assessment might highlight above standard components. Potato components would best appear in a faded dark brown.

Having refined the need and described the current available components, recommended solutions would focus the user on purchases that accomplish the goal level of functionality.

Back