What is a Good PowerSupply??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXXEL

I'm looking for a cool looking power supply but i don't know if this one is reliable.

http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=178&xcSID=eed1622a78b2a371d459826b99448ee4

I found this one but I've heard bad things about this company and the power supplies. I love the way it look especially the blue sleeves.

This is what I'm running on my computer:

Mobo: ASUS P5WD2-E PREMIUM
VIDEO: ATI X1900XTX
RAM: 2 X 1GB
I have 3 hard drives and 2 CD/DVD recorders
My current PSU is an Antec TRUEPOWER 2.0 550W It's working fine but i don't like the way that is looks.

Can you guys help me on choosing a good power supply that is very reliable and looks really cool? PLZ?!?! :grinthumb

I`ve not heard of those psu`s, but in all honesty I think you`d be better off sticking with your Antec.

If it`s nice sleeving your after, you can get various uv coloured sleeving kits. Just Google.

Regards Howard :)

Hey THIS IS PERFECT!!:approve: I had no idea that they sold kits for this. I'll look for them next time i go to the store. THANKS A LOT!!!:wave:

Apevia is Aspire's new name for their power supplies. Aspire has a very poor reputation among the enthusiast community for building low quality psus that look real purdy but die at an early age (and often take out other parts with them when they do).

I'd recommend avoiding Apevia PSUs.

You could try here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=106
Ultra is a decent psu. I've been running them for years without a hitch. They now have modular psu's with uv activated cables if your a modder and use uv lighting in your case. I used a 500 watt psu in my daughter's case (one clear side w/blue interior lighting) and she has to cover it up at night to get to sleep. Evidently the blue-green lighting keeps her awake because it's too bright when the lights are out in her room!

Hey I am using an Ultra PSU myself too, it's OK so far. In case you're wondering, it's the Ultra X-Finity 500Watt Blue Titanium PSU. Ultra went big on the looks of these units and gave them a shiny mirror finish, and also replaced all the black+red+yellow cables with silver UV reactive cables.

Don't get Apevia (Aspire) power supplies. As stated before, they don't have a good reputation.

THIS unit looks great, and is becoming ever more popular.

If you still want a new power supply and not just the sleeving, you should google up some good/bad power supply brands. Oh wait, I did it for you :)
Look HERE

Generally brands like Antec, Enermax, etc. are almost guaranteed quality units.

Just stay away from the Antec SmartPower line for now. They're having a bad batch out of the factory at the moment (something about their contract with CWT expiring, therefore not having access to good capacitors...but my Google results might not be credible).

Hope I helped :)

Yeah, that's the same psu I was running in my old rig. Since I upgraded to an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 with an XFX 8800 GTX, I moved up to the all black 700 watt model. It's still a component psu, and actually I like the revamp of the connectors. The X-Finity cables seemed a little stiff. On the 700 watt model, it's a no frills psu, but the cables are thinner and more flexible. So far, I've had this up and running since Thursday and ran the new system through it's paces with CoD2, FEAR, HL2, CoH and some other games and it hasn't even taxed the psu, nor has the system been taxed either. Guess that this is my first build I went big and it's paid off. Now, on to Vista, Crysis, Hellgate and Bioshock!!!

Tom's hardware guide periodically rates and tests brands of PSUs and puts them through torture tests. Go there and do a search.
Quality varies greatly.

What about a Seasonic PSU? I've heard that these are very reliable. Or maybe one manufactured by Corsair? Those are produced by Seasonic too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back