what is a pcie x1 slot good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that every new motherboard has at least one pcie x1 slot on it. But I don' know what you can use it for. Does anyone know what kind of components will fit into this type of slot?

Basically it's the Latest advancement in Video Cards .
Said to be better then AGP or original PCI cards.
Go to ati.com for more details.

I know that the new video cards fit into pcie x16 slots but I believe that the x1 slots are too small too support a video card. My question is what do you put into a x1 slot?

The pcie x1 slot while originally designed for video cards, never really took of. Most of todays videocards require a pcie x16 slot.

However, there are cards either on or coming on to the market that will make use of the pcie x1 slot. Sound cards/wireless cards/Tv tuner cards etc.

Regards Howard :)

There aren't really all that many things using PCIE 1x yet, but as regular PCI is phased out more and more devices will be available. Currently Network cards and SATA cards seem to be the main thing it's used for, and i believe Matrox does make a video card on PCIE 1x, it's not exactly a gamer's card though(32 meg vram).

The x1 actually refers to the data transfer speed of the PCIe x1 slot. It has nothing to do with the number of PCIe slots.

Taken from HERE. Scroll down to PCI Express slots:

Kirk Steers said:
PCIe slots come in different lengths, corresponding to the amount of data they can move. PCIe x1 slots replace the standard PCI port and are about 1 inch (or 26mm) long. They move data on and off the motherboard at up to 250 MBps in each direction at once. The PCIe x16 slot that replaces the AGP graphics-card slot is 90mm (about 3.5 inches) long, just like a PCI slot. A PCIe x16 slot can move data--you guessed it--up to 16 times faster than an x1 slot can: as fast as 4 GBps in each direction simultaneously.

Please check your facts before posting. ;)

For more info on PCIe slots, look HERE.

Regards Howard :)

zipperman said:
x1 just means you only have 1 slot for these newer PCIe cards.

wrong it has to do with the speed of the slot. I own a MB with three of the slots.

Sorry for double posting Howard.

Thanks

nickc said:
wrong it has to do with the speed of the slot. I own a MB with three of the slots.

Sorry for double posting Howard.

It does depend on where the x is though.But i see from this my plan
for a mbd and PCIe has changed.EG:
Interface Speed: 16x
Some are described as 1x Interface Speed: 16x
or 1x Interface Speed: 1x
Crossfire needs more then 1.You have x3 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back