What is Dxdiag.exe corrupted file and how do I fix it?

Hello all,

My computer has been giving me fits lately and I am at wits end on what I should do to correct it at this point. And please excuse me for my computer ignorance but I must admit I am technically challenged when it comes to what should be done and how to do it correctly. lol

The error that I am getting is as follows:

Dxdiag.exe corrupt file.
windows/system32/driverstore/file repository/wdma_emu.inf_x86_neutral_b351a2f56586e61b

I ran Malware Bytes and it came back clean. I then booted the computer up and tried to run a repair through the f8 menu and after running it gave me the same message as the one from above. However on my next start up it recommended that I run a CHKDSK program to repair corrupted files. After selecting to run this program it got hung up in search 2 of 3 verifying indexes and sat there for around 5 hours. I shut the computer off and logged in via safemode with networking and downloaded dll.suite and ran the free scan. It detected 98 corrupted dll files. I however did not purchase the software to fix fearing at this point I am traveling the incorrect path.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

So far, you gave me this information:
I have not updated anything recently. This problem started approximately two months ago but as time goes on it continues to get worse. My computer is now extremely slow and does not want to open any of my programs. Strange thing is is once I get it open and close it it seems to work fine. I was just not sure if I had a virus or if I yaked something up inadvertantly.

wdma_emu.inf is a driver related to your sound card. There is an issue only known to Creative, in certain cases, the hardware id substring (a number used to identify the model number of your card) on the original Audigy sound cards becomes corrupted.

I left a reference site for this process: DirectX Diagnostic Tool (Dxdiag.exe) which is included with Microsoft DirectX. The default installation folder for Dxdiag.exe for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP is: C:\Windows\System32

To start the DirectX Diagnostic Tool: Click Start> Run> type dxdiag> Enter or OK> You will get a screen with message to answer Yes or No> Choose Yes.

This may replace the corrupt driver. Please let me know the result. There is also a difference in how it will work depending on which operating system you're using- so let me know that also.
========================================
It would also be helpful to run a minimum scan so I can see what's running:
First, set up a Directory for HijackThis as follows:
Right click Start> Explore> My Computer> Local Drive (C)> File> New> Folder> Name folder HijackThis
Exit Explorer
You now have a folder C:\HijackThis
----------------------------------
Download HijackThis and save to your desktop.
  • Click on the HJT icon> 'Extract all files'> Extraction Wizard> Click on Browse to right of dialogue box that says 'Select a folder'
  • Extract it to the directory on your hard drive you created C:\HijackThis.
  • Then navigate to that directory and double-click on the hijackthis.exe file.
  • When started click on the Scan button and then the Save Log button to create a log of your information.
  • The log file and then the log will open in notepad. Be sure to click on Format> Uncheck Word Wrap when you open Notepad
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and paste (Ctrl+V) the log in your next reply.
NOTE: Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Please be sure to set up the Directory first.

Back