What is my problem here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Hi. I am new to the forums, I have also looked over many threads related to my problem, so please don't flame.

Just yesterday I was playing a game, S.U.N Online, and was trying to throw out my garbage behind me and accidentally kicked my computer desk, causing my CPU fan to come loose and fall. It is a Thermaltake v1 fan by the way. It landed on my video card but I doubt that is the problem. Just as any other CPU, the processor heated too quick and did an emergency shutdown.

I fitted the heatsink back in the mobo and started up the computer again, but this time it would run until it loaded my desktop for a minute or so before it turned off again. First thing I did when it loaded was to check the temperatures, bam, 250 degrees Fahrenheit and shutdown. I think I needed new thermal paste.

Went to Radio Shack this morning to purchase the fabled AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) I have been reading so much about since last night. I reapplied the thermal paste, attached the heat sink and turned on my CPU.

The CPU is on and running, but this time I'm not getting any signal on my monitor screen.
In the tower case, the fans are running, the lights on the mobo are on, but no screen display. Since the computer is running without shutting off, I can safely assume the AS5 works, but I've encountered a new problem.

I don't know if its the mobo or the processor or both.
I'm not even sure if I shorted it out, even though I think i did.
What is your diagnosis?
Also can you tell me tips on how to rid yourself of static electricity.
Thanks.

I would reseat everything. If you cleaned off the old paste before putting on the new, and you applied it like the directions said you should be ok and not need to reseat the CPU, but it may be worth trying if nothing else works.

You could also reset the CMOS, there is a jumper for that on the mobo. Typically you unplug everything, put the jumper on the other pin (commonly the center pin is shared) then press the power button (maybe unnecessary). Then put the jumper back where it was and plug the thing back in.

As far as static, just make sure you are holding a metal part of your case before sticking your hand on anything electronic, and before touching anything with a screwdriver. I've worked on computers on carpet for years doing that and never had a problem - although I don't really recommend working on carpet just because of the inherent risk.

I may have applied more than I should have but I don't think it would be too much of a problem would it?

As for CMOS, how to reset? Jumper? I got confused.

Alright. I located the CMOS and put the jumper on the other 2 pins and put it back in its original place.

Plugged the PSU, keyboard, mouse and VGA in.
Turned on and still no response from the monitor.
The OS is not booting right?

What should I do now?
Should I reseat everything?
As for the AS5, I put a lot and used a credit card to smooth it out evenly. After I saw the instructions, I wiped a lot off and resmoothed everything. Still the same result.

Any suggestions gurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back