What is the best cpu hs+fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imp

As the title says what is the best HS+fan availible today, i want to upgrade from stock to a decent hs+fan that is capable of keeping low temps when overclocking but without needing me to turn up my 5.1 sound so that the whole NE of england can hear which sweedish pr0n vid i am watching. I am thinking of the Skythe Kamakazie, is there anything better?

That's a tough question. Ask 100 people and you'll get almost 100 different opinions. What you'll probably want is something that will take a 92mm fan. You can get more airflow at lower RPMs with the larger fans. That should keep noise down. Something like this SWIFTTECH heatsink, providing you don't have any clearance issues, and a variable speed or fixed speed fan with around 50 CFM max.

And spring for some Arctic Silver 5 while you're at it.

Air cooling can only go so far.

I don't know the best, but if I were in the market for a new HSF, I'd pick a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu any day. It's huge & quiet. It may not fit some mobos, though.

If you are looking for a good hs+fan i would say go get a Thermaltake Volcano 12, they make one for both socket A and socket 754. Once you see and hold the fan you will be able to tell it has superior cooling power. I put on in my and my cpu temp dropped by 15 degrees celcius. The Fan comes with and adjustable knob, so if you are overclocking you can turn up the rpm to around 6000 which is a bit louder than a standard fan. But if you arent overclocking you can turn it down to around 4000 rpm, which is a ton quieter. The HS is a huge copper hs, I work for a computer store and we usually sell the fans for around $40 so you should be able to find a close price to that. The only thing I recommend is, if you hvae a socket A chip, take out the powerpply when putting the fan on. It is really big and a pain to put on when you first do it, after that you should've figured out the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back