What is the best graphics card for under £650

erik2041999

So I am looking for a gpu upgrade and I can go up to £650 but I dont know what to get I want a gpu that gets 60 fps and over all the time at any game even when it's very intense. do any of you guys know a good gpu that could do that for me ?

The 680 classified is clocked slightly higher so I would expect it to outperform a stock 680 by a bit. If you're up for it though I'm guessing you could probably overclock a stock 680 to match the speed of the classified version. As far as the 4GB of memory goes unless your going to be playing on a multi-monitor setup or at a very high resolution I wouldn't expect it to make much difference. What is the price difference between the two and what resolution do you plan to be using?

The 7970 ghz edition comes close but the 680 is slightly faster. If its in your budget, you don't feel like overclocking, and plan on someday using multiple monitors or gaming at higher than 1920x1080 then the classified 680 would work. But like I said of you want you can overclock a stock 680 and probably have the same performance at 1920x1080. I would doubt if any current generation game would use 4GB of video ram at 1920x1080.

anyway are there any better ones than 680 in fps except the 690 ?
It also matters what games you're playing as to which will be faster. There are several games where the 7970 (and the GE) is faster than the 680. If you're looking for as much gaming performance as you can get for £650 then I'd be looking at a pair of GTX 670s if two cards is an option. As Ranger said, unless you're playing beyond 1920 there is no reason just yet to go for the 4GB version.

thank you all for helping me guys but I wanted to get the most out of the gaming excpirience and have decided to buy a evga 690 I know it's a bit over priced but I will buy that and for the next 5 years it'l be just fine and up to date with all the games. but thank you anyway :)

@erik2041999
Cant be sure that you will have to buy new card in next 5 year or not .. As Technology is moving like rocket . AMD has announced for 8000series ... that will be available in market probably next year. All the best with you new card.

@ Ranger : Correct about 4 GB still unusable atleast for gaming point of view .. Graphics processing is awesome

your right technologhy is getting more advanced day by day. but the 690 is the fastest card ever build and as long as it keeps over 60 fps on every game for all the time than im fine with it. anyway once I get it I was thinking of overclocking it to get more out of it but part of me is saying that I should'nt as it is amazingly fast already but I just want to try it out just to see :) anyway 7990 is going to come before the 8000 series hopefully and that is probbably going to be twice as fast as the 690 I would excpect because the amd 6990 beat all the gpu's until the 690 came out :) anyway what do you think?

The 7990 won't be twice as fast as the 690 - if it'll be much faster at all. Isn't the 690 outside of the price range you stated at the beginning? The 690 with get 60 fps in pretty much every game out @ 1080p... for now. There's probably not much need to overclock the 690 just yet.

The 690 is hard to find atm. I just checked newegg and the cheapest one is $999.99. All the versions newegg sells are out of stock.

yes I stated it's out of the price range but I chnaged my mind after I saw how powerfull it is I thought it would be a waste of money but it is'nt because in the first place I wanted to buy a powercolor 6990 because even today it still kicks *** but I looked around and I founf the 690 for 675 pounds no jokes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EVGA-...866?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item35be99ac62
ok yes it is on ebay but I have never been screwed over yet so yeah. anyways the powercolor 6990 cost £650 and the 690 cost £673 or something like that so I was thinking why not get that instead of the powercoler it's fast new and amazing so yeah. and thanks for the links and help from you guys :)

@erik2041999
Bro Its depends on the utilization how you are utilizing the devices .. If you have utilization of the product you are buying then spending ample amount of pound seems to be logical but if its up for show off then its useless . As far as gaming is concerned there are other GPU that can give you good FPS . like 7800 series or 7900 series at low prices . if u compare nvidia with AMD then amd is cheaper than nvidia. And comparison shows AMD is stable at higher resolution as far as FPS is concerned .The point of having higher memory for GPU 4GB isnt going to get utilized max u can utilizes is of 1.5 GB even if you cross 1900 resolution Hope you are getting my point .

At 1920x1080, the performance delta between the GTX 680 and GTX 670 will be irrelevant, since both will be able to give you at least 60FPS on every game out there.

IMHO, go for a factory-overclocked GTX 670 with custom cooling. It won't be nearly as expensive as the GTX 680, and you'll also have more potential performance than a vanilla GTX 670 as well.

At 1920x1080, the performance delta between the GTX 680 and GTX 670 will be irrelevant, since both will be able to give you at least 60FPS on every game out there.

IMHO, go for a factory-overclocked GTX 670 with custom cooling. It won't be nearly as expensive as the GTX 680, and you'll also have more potential performance than a vanilla GTX 670 as well.
thats exactly what I just said

Back