• NewsBin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGaribaldi

Being so experienced in the ways of the net that most of our users are, I was wondering which is the best newsgrabbing software...
And why do you like it?

My personal pref at the moment is GrabIt... It's much easier to use than (Free)Agent and the others I've tested so far...
It lists complete binaries instead of each article and decodes them asap... It allows you to filter if you want to see downloaded articles, not completed articles (i.e. missing one segment of the binary) etc.
It's also quite good at estimating download time :)

The problems with it is that it takes quite a long time to change from one group to another (for selecting updates), has limited reading capabilities, and no posting capability.... :(

But even with the problems listed, it's, imo, much better than most of the other programs out there...

Check it out ahere :)

Originally posted by Elcarion
Have you tried Agent? rather than FreeAgent

Nope... That would either require me to buy it or... (You'll remember the thread in the old Private Forum...)

Thus I try to stick to free programs :)

Thank you sir!

Mr. GaRiBaLdI
I think you have saved me the trouble of posting an inquiry. In a couple of weeks I'll be out on the fishing grounds doing 40 day trips. Keeping current with the worlds' major events is at best hit and miss. In January '91 (I think, mabe it was '90) we left Seattle's Fisherman's Terminal the day after the U.S. launched missiles and declared war on Iraq. We finished up the winter season a month after it was all over. That left a huge gap in my experience. We got bits and pieces of news when we delivered the fish but that competed with the business at hand; getting good and drunk. Same way last year with the September 11 attacks. Missed all of it. There was a bit of scuttle-butt on the short waves but not much. We did pull into Adak for a night and caught some of what happened on a TV in the Veteran's Hall there but once again.....ended up getting pretty drunk.
So, I just downloaded GRABIT. I am hoping that I will be able to plug it into a phone line in a hotel room between trips and down load all the news so I can read it during the trip. The news weeklies out in Unalaska\Dutch Harbor are always two or three weeks behind.
:grinthumb Thats why I love this web sight. There is always new stuff to learn out there.

Re: Thank you sir!

Originally posted by bedlam_4
Mr. GaRiBaLdI
I think you have saved me the trouble of posting an inquiry. In a couple of weeks I'll be out on the fishing grounds doing 40 day trips. Keeping current with the worlds' major events is at best hit and miss.

Hehe :)
That's nice... You should be able to find most of the big news on usenet... Most, if not all, of Osama was there, along with whatever speeches Bush was up to, and superbowl... And that was only what I saw in alt.binaries.multimedia !!!!

To search for groups, just type in what you're searching for (news, sports, etc) in the "all Groups" tab under filtering....

Happy Hunting! :)

Re: Thank you sir!

Originally posted by bedlam_4
:grinthumb Thats why I love this web sight. There is always new stuff to learn out there.
Kind of makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, er... maybe its just the alcohol. :)

Hey all,

I have used probably a dozen readers and have gone back to Agent. I bought Agent 6 years ago when it was Agent .99 and they are still sending me the free updates when they come out. They are up to 1.9. If you don't have it, GET IT, they now offer a 30 day trial on the full Agent.

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Being so experienced in the ways of the net that most of our users are, I was wondering which is the best newsgrabbing software...
And why do you like it?

My personal pref at the moment is GrabIt... It's much easier to use than (Free)Agent and the others I've tested so far...
It lists complete binaries instead of each article and decodes them asap... It allows you to filter if you want to see downloaded articles, not completed articles (i.e. missing one segment of the binary) etc.
It's also quite good at estimating download time :)

The problems with it is that it takes quite a long time to change from one group to another (for selecting updates), has limited reading capabilities, and no posting capability.... :(

But even with the problems listed, it's, imo, much better than most of the other programs out there...

Check it out ahere :)

Can you post a few of the links so we can check them all out and decide for ourselves??? That would be great!!! Thanks.

I said it before and will say it again, Agent is the best. I just tried Grabit and it messed up my Agent. Will never try another newsreader again. EVER....

Originally posted by boeingfixer
I said it before and will say it again, Agent is the best. I just tried Grabit and it messed up my Agent. Will never try another newsreader again. EVER....

Hehe... I've tried Agent, as said before, and found it good for general reading, but for grabbing binaries from usenet, it's frankly not that good... GrabIt on the other hand is very good for grabbing, and nothing else...

So I guess the "what's the best newssoftware" depends on what you use usenet for...

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

Hehe... I've tried Agent, as said before, and found it good for general reading, but for grabbing binaries from usenet, it's frankly not that good... GrabIt on the other hand is very good for grabbing, and nothing else...

So I guess the "what's the best newssoftware" depends on what you use usenet for...

Yeah Mr. G, I guess it's the same with everything huh, you like this I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back