What is the best way to enhance or improve a wi-fi connection on a Macbook Pro?

Speck13

Hello,

I just moved to a new condo, and there has been trouble with finding an ISP to provide service to my location (apparently the previous tenant had several delinquent accounts so they blocked service to our address). In the midst of trying to work that out, I was able to connect to a local xFinity tower using my xFinity credentials. I also called them to add my devices to their service.

The problem is that the connection is inconsistent and sub-par at best. There are times when the Wi-Fi disconnects completely for long periods of time. This is obviously very frustrating. On a related note, I have a Windows PC that I would like to connect to the xFinity tower, however it is unable to find the Wi-Fi connection at all which is annoying..crappy NIC or Win10 setting? But, I realize this is a Mac discussion..

So my Macbook Pro finds the wireless network which is good, but like I said, the connection is inconsistent and kinda shotty. Is there any way to improve this? Like, is there a device I can purchase to enhance, improve, or strengthen the signal? Maybe even an app I can download in the Mac store that may help with this? Any help would be great, because I use the internet quite frequently and these slow, inconsistent speeds are really frustrating me..

Thank you and have a great weekend,

Speck

Macbook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Need to be admin on the mac
  • launch Terminal
  • su root
  • and provide pwd
  • cd /etc
echo 'net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1' >>sysctl.config
chmod 770 sysctl.config

exit terminal

disconnect your internet (wifi or ethernet) wait 30 seconds and then reconnect

For others following 'net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1' is the same as windows SACKOPTS

Another tweek is in the router;
login & give password
on the WAN config, set the MTU to 1492
save and logout

Back