What is the max OC that is good for the longevity of my 4770K?

childofthetao

Hi, I am going to OC my 4770K. I'm using an MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming and a H100.

I want my computer to last years, at least five years, but I want to OC too :)

What's a nice safe OC for my hardware that won't kill the lifespan of my stuff?

Thanks

It's not really the clock that kills the CPU, it's the heat and voltages. So just make sure your CPU isn't running too hot (>80C) and stick to sensible voltages.

As stated above, its not the clock that can kill your machine, its the heat and extra power added that if not managed properly can cause the chip to fail. As long as you keep it below 80C, its going to last even heavily overclocked. If you want to guarantee the chip stays with as much lifespan as possible, I would shoot at keep the temperature around 70 under load as that is where a lot of us strive to keep under.

Overvolting anything will accelerate electromigration and cause faster degradation of the electrical pathways.

Overclocking will shorten the life of any processor but the benefits far outweigh this.

Do you think 1.2v is a good limit? I want my computer to last years, I spent a lot on it, I don't want to have to upgrade for a while.

As the members above said, Keep it below 80 ish and you will be fine.

It most likely the processor will be obsolete before it dies even if overclocked.

You'll do well to get anywhere with 1.2V. Mine sits at 4.5Ghz at 1.3V but there are very big reported variances between people's overclocks and voltages. I wouldn't go above 1.3V unless you really need the extra performance (because temps seem to rise exponentially from there) and definitely don't go above 1.4V.

Back