What kind of RAM for ECS M830LR. Is it P2100 or P2700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm new to the board and, as you can see by my motherboard, I'm working with a very old computer. I have to do what I have to do. Right now, it's running on 384MB, if you can believe it. I had my roommate, who knows a thing or two about computers, look at what type of RAM I would need.

So, the motherboard is an ECS M830LR. My roommate told me that I would need PC2700 333mhz RAM. However, I've been looking around to make sure, and I found this old post in this forum. The guy says he has the same motherboard but has PC2100 RAM.

Here:

(Won't let me post link, darn it. )

Post is titled: Really could use some help with finding the right ram for this motherboard\
Posted by: NiceGuyEd
Search by: ECS M830LR

I found cheap 1G PC2700 for $22 and I would like to get it because buying a 512mb and another 128MB to reach this old gals full RAM capacity, is more expensive.

Do I need to know have more information about this motherboard to make sure I get the right stuff?

Will both PC2700 and PC2100 work? I think I read that PC2100 is slower. Is that the only difference?

Would the puter run better with just one RAM stick instead of 4 to make the full 1 GIG?

Is there any more information I could provide to help you answer this question?

Thank you for looking and responding?

Cheers,
Leequa

Would help to know what type and brand of machine.

It's a Lian Li brand. I have no idea if the following information will help but when i looked up the system information, under computer it says, "AMD Athlon (tm) XP1500+, 1.29GHz.

Sorry. Lian Li is the name of the case maker. Find and run System Information for Windows. Will give you more than enough information on your machine. If I remember correctly, even tells lots about memory.

Just says:

AMD Athlon (tm) XP1500+
1.29GHz
3.84MB

It's a PC. I don't know what else, or how, to find out anymore about this computer. Sorry. Is there anywhere else to search?

Ok, so I googled on how to look for systems information, and I ran msinfo32. What info from here would be helpful? :)

BTW, found a great site with all sorts of Window commands, for those of us not in the know.

I apologize for the triple post, but wanted to share this link, and I can post links after I send this...

Here's the link: http://mypchell.com/content/view/69/1/

Hello . System Information for Windows is a program you can download and run. Or you could get WinAudit. Both are about the same and both are freeware.

Sorry. Lian Li is the name of the case maker. Find and run System Information for Windows. Will give you more than enough information on your machine. If I remember correctly, even tells lots about memory.

Is this the needed info?

System Name S3A6L7
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model M830LR
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1294 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3

YEAH! Thank you thank you! I thought it might be ok to use the 2700 but wanted to make sure. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Thanks again for your help! :D

system information on windows doesn't tell the kind of memory, only the amount. He can look at the ram chips and look at the label (hard) or download CPU-z and find out from that software.

Before upgrading ram, read the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum.

Excuse me Tedster. Just ran SIW on my own machine, and it does show what type of memory, speed, and clock speeds(latency) of all memory in all slots. Just go to the left side, scroll down to hardware, click on memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back