What shockwave flash player ?

gbhall

Running firefox 31.0 browser on Win 7 pro SP2, I get a warning to update the Shockwave Flash player plugin.

Running the check within firefox, it tells me I am currently running version 12.0.0.70 plugin and should upgrade to 12.0.0.77. However, any attempt to upgrade (update button on the very page) only offers Flash player 14.0.0.179 ? Or taking another route, Adobe Shockwave player 12.1.3.153 is offered?

Adobe of course is well-known for very clearly not knowing what they are doing, but does anyone ?

I think back when Macromedia owned it it was Shockwave Flash. Then Adobe bought and Shockwave and Flash became 2 different things (although my history may be fuzzy, Macromedia may have split them before Adobe).

Here is somewhat of an explanation: My takeaway is Shockwave handles stuff made in Adobe Director and Flash handles stuff made by Flash...

You probably don't need Shockwave at all, so I would remove it. If it turns out you do need it for something, get it from here.

Thanks gents.

I went the route of updating Flash player - now 14.0.0.179. This also automatically added the same version number plugin to Firefox. What happened to plugin 12.0.0.77 I neither know nor care. I think Adobe are twerps, it's a shame we have to use them at all......

Back