What to do about rebuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP pavilion 753n w/P4 2.53g CPU socket478 and i think the mobo has an 845g chipset (not sure if that will help or not) and a few weeks ago we had a lightening strike and now there are things no longer working, none of the PCI's work, the onboard video and ethernet do not work and some of the USBs arent either. I am able to use the computer for things like burning cd's and I can even get online with a usb wireless thingymabobber. I ran some diagnostic tools and it seems that the RAM (2100)and HD are ok so I guess my questions are: What would be the best replacement motherboard (if possible) for this thing?
I am also thinking about jjust starting over and building a computer but my problem is $$. I only have about $200 right now due to the crappy homeowners insurance to get a motherboard/cpu combo and I know they are out there but there are so many and not sure what to get. I am not really a gamer but I do use CAD alot and also do alot of moviemaking type work.
I will, of course, spend alot more money on a surge protector than the one that was attached when the lightening hit before I buy anything ;)

alrightey then, guess as in real life, I also have no friends in cyberspace :( boo hoo... just kidding. I went ahead and ordered an Asus P4P800E Delux socket 478 mobo. It looks like it will work with my P4 2.53 478 that I have and if not, i should be able to just buy another CPU that isn't too outrageously priced and im not sure, but I may be able to get something faster in the future when proces go down a little. I dont think my ddr 2100 ram will work with it but oh well. anybody have any experiences with this motherboard? thank you in advance for any help

PS- going to look around to buy the most obscenly priced surge protector in the world!

Do not spend a ridiculous amount on surge protection.Just look for a brand name whose warranty will more than cover your equipment replacement.Belkin is good.
As for you machine, you are going to have to watch the parts you purchase are compatible with the HP case.The large Computer companies often use proprietary components that off the shelf items will not fit or work with.
Power surges can fry many different items, and you may find it very frustrating to install things that are bad , then swapping ,etc.I go to a local tech shop where they will test things for me free.(I buy from them enough )
Ram, CPU Vid card are at the top of this list.
Keep us informed.
BTW; that is a good Mb, One of my systems is based on it.

thanks for the reply, I kept seeing that mobo mentioned on this site as well as seeing on the web that it is popular. my thinkin was that even if i have problems, there should be plenty of info out there. I know what you mean about the case, when i added a dvd burner, i had to pretty much tear the whole thing apart just to get it out. I do plan on buying a nice big case with plenty of room, nothing fancy, just big.
thanks again and im sure ill be back with a slew of problems

I think that board should work with your cpu, and also I think your ram will work, but it might be a bottleneck(the slow down point) in your system.

I recommend belkin surge protectors. I had one zapped(recently) and they promptly replaced it with a new unit, no hassles. I just had to pay to ship my old unit to them, they covered the return (2day air too)shipping.

Depending on how much overtime I work, I may just buy a new processor. any suggestions that will work best with that board? I am trying not to spent too much money, but then again, the homeowners insurance is "supposed" to reimburse me but I am not holding my breath.

Just buy a CPU that has the same FSB speeds as the fastest the motherboard can take. If your mobo is 533fsb, buy a CPU with that. Or 800fsb, etc...
I think, not sure though, that the Intel "Prescott" chip is the latest (last?) of their P4s. Not sure.

Keep in mind that not only surges, but brownouts and power outs can hurt you just as much. Consider buying not a surge protector, but a battery backup, power conditioner. That is, most battery backups are power conditioners, but you get the idea. Check out the products from APC. These are, of course, also surge protectors, have large replacement policies and good warranties. And not to expensive. You can probably get an APC unit that will keep you running 10 or 15 minutes in a power out, for under a hundred.

Lastly, if you have a surge protector, don't bother plugging your monitor or printer into it. Tis better to have only your PC/speakers/router/modem plugged in it. Monitor too if it's a decent one. But keep your printers, scanners, and high powered devices off of it.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back