What Type Of USB Support Does Linux Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

OK, you might have read this..
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95851.html
...post, but I have a Linux question that goes with it, so I thought I should post over here.

So, the original question was, Is it possible to charge the iPod on a 98se?

Obviously no, but I know the computer is capable of it because Ubuntu and DSL can power the iPod to charge. So I want to know is, what kind of software/drivers do those two distros use that let them send the power out?

Is it a special kind of thing that is for Linux only? Can it be converted to Windows, (Kinda like WINE in reverse).

Any insite would be appreciated!

--Daniel L

Uhm.. The power is always supplied to all USB devices and you have to turn off the power manually per device or port. It is not a "feature", but an inherent property of USB. Most USB devices wouldn't even work if they didn't get power from the port.

I would guess it's a "feature" of your iPod (needs the computer to tell it to charge itself?) or some serious bug in Windows drivers and/or your ancient hardware. Do the USB ports work with your Windows at all? Have you used a mouse or a flash drive or something?

Maybe get a PCI USB 2.0 controller card? You would get more speed and new drivers. Make sure that Windows 98 is supported by the device!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back