What voltage should I use for multiple RAM?

Hello, this is my first post in a forum ever, haha. So I currently am using OCZ DDR2 PC2_6400 2x2GB of RAM that runs at 2.1Volts according to OCZ's website. And without knowing, I purchased Crucial DDR2 PC2_6400 2x2GB RAM that runs at 1.8Volts according to Crucial's Website. I want to upgrade my computer to have 8GB of RAM but when I added the Crucial RAM, my computer blue screened and now I have to run a system recovery to fix the corrupt sectors. I think the blue screen may be related to the difference in voltage because everything else is the same (minus the manufacturer). Should I set my motherboard to run at a specific voltage? If so, which voltage should I use? I have MSI P6N SLI Platinum mobo.

Thanks!
Brent

Update to the Multiple Ram Question

Last night after I ran the system recovery to repair the bad sectors. I booted up with the original configuration of OCZ 2x2GB of RAM there were no issues. I shut down, installed the additional 2x2GB of RAM. Went into BIOS and set Voltage to 1.8 and booted up. It booted up without a problem this time. I'm OK for now, but I don't know if 1.8 is a bad voltage to run at for the OCZ RAM since it's specs are for 2.1 Volts.

-Brent

The best thing to do would be to get a second set of 2.1v memory identical to your first set of memory and return the 1.8v set, or you'd have to set the voltage to 2.1v and hope the 1.8v set doesn't burn out. :(

actually you don't know, why it 'bluescreened' or what voltage was automatically set by bios when you just plugged in another 2 modules.

i recommend:
1) manually set voltage to 1.8-1.9 and try again. if it won't help -
2) change pairs slots (usually helps).

p.s. according to jedec ddr2 standard, maximum voltage is 1.9v. in short, some manufacturers overclock chips and that is why recommended is >1.9v.

Back