Whats a good monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hd

If you mean High Definition probably not for a PC.
But even a Home HDTV requires additional channels and converter and
More monthly fees.$$$.
HD is a TV broadcast station,plus a HD Television set.
Ask someone at a place like Future Shop about this.
Why do you shop online ? Do it where you can see the monitor operating.

Any monitor that will do XXXXx1080 or higher is capable of true HD, so that puts you in the range of 21" screens, perhaps a good 19" if you go crt.

zipperman, you can get an HD tuner that with an antenna will get OTA HD (depending on where you live) which is free.

When buying a new monitor I like to shop around in store where you can see the monitor, but when it comes time to buy newegg is usually a great bet. Samsung synch masters are supposed to be good montiors.

Ok

SNGX1275 said:
Any monitor that will do XXXXx1080 or higher is capable of true HD, so that puts you in the range of 21" screens, perhaps a good 19" if you go crt.

zipperman, you can get an HD tuner that with an antenna will get OTA HD (depending on where you live) which is free.

I guess i live in the wrong place,Canada's biggest City.
Where can i get a free tuner for my PVR ?
Not here,
http://www.shoprogers.com/promo/hde...HD?shopperID=45SCM50S06609NTXEEAQUQ8VGQH24KD6

http://www.shoprogers.com/promo/hde...HD?shopperID=45SCM50S06609NTXEEAQUQ8VGQH24KD6
========================
dwb152
I have the SAMSUNG 19 INCH SyncMaster 997DF.
It's A great SVGA,But not HDTV.
Their only home TV's 2 or 3 grand.

I didn't say you get a free tuner. I said depending on where you live you can get OTA HD broadcasts for free (Over The Air) if you have a tuner card. I don't know about Canada, but every city here that has an NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX affiliate broadcasts HD OTA. I don't live close enough to any of those cities to get it, but a majority of the people live in areas where you can.

Anywhere you look you can find people willing to sell you HDTV, but you don't always have to pay for it.

Hdtv

I watch ABC's Wheel of Fortune broadcast IN HD,but my point is,i am not
seeing It becaUSE it's stated on the screen.
Not without extra cost and connection as my links point out.
But i am checking around to see if PC monitors can do what a home
HDTV will.
But i get a very good picture in 32 bit 1152 x 864 on a 19" SAMSUNG.

You aren't understanding.

When you see that "broadcast in hd" or whatever it says over your cable, that doesn't mean it IS hd. You do have to pay for HD over your cable. Your ignorance in this subject is apparent. OTA broadcasts are FREE and if you have an HD Tuner in your computer you can connect it to the OTA HD Antenna and get it FREE.

Your 1152x864 monitor won't do 1080i or 1080p. Hopefully you can understand why. It CAN do 720p though which is what some OTA is broadcast as, 1080i is the other that is broadcast OTA.

I have a Samsung 24" monitor, it's resolution is 1920x1200. It exceeds HD resolutions. If I were to hook it up to my HD satellite box I could watch HD on it.

I also have a HDTV which receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts. It has a built-in HDTV tuner. zipperman, you must have an older HDTV-capable TV that requires an external HDTV tuner box rather than a modern HDTV-ready TV.

Robgamer, almost any big name brand wide-screen LCD monitor 21" or over will make a good HD resolution monitor. Remember though, they look best at their native resolution. LCDs kinda suck at resolutions different than their pixel count.

We have been servicing LCD monitors for five years now. We see major reliability issues in some brands that once made great CRT monitors... such as ViewSonic, Optiquest, Phillips, and so on.
We now recommend to our clients that they get monitors made by Samsung (which also makes most of those Dell sells) and Sharp. We suggest you avoid Envision, KDS, and any no-name monitor. Samsung and Sharp both make monitors under a number of other brand names such as HP, Gateway, and so on... so see if you can figger out who really makes the monitor.
Look for monitors that can be adjusted up and down, and can be easily viewed from side to side in at least a 160 degree range. Also be sure they have a 3 year warranty. Some now have a 5 year warrant. Warranty is important because the failure rate after 20 month seems to be extremely high. Also, be sure you find the pixels guarantee acceptable because some warranties force you to accept sizable red or blue spots. Read the fine print.
The great news is that the 21" - 24" are very low priced now, and we expect 30" monitors to drop dramatically in price this year... perhaps by March.

I called SAMSUNG today.You need a monitor with a DVI connection.
I'm considering the 225 or 226 BW. 22 inch.
SNG says,
You aren't understanding.
Yes i am,i just havn't described it as well as you it seems.
I have spent time studying this upgrade for my PC.

Then why did you disagree with me when I said you can get HD for free if you have a HD tuner and antenna?

All Samsungs and Sharps with which we work come with both VGA connections and cables, as well as DVI connections and cables. You need a DVI port on your video graphics card to go DVI...
Otherwise, I don't see your problem.

The ones sold at Wal-mart from IC Power are excellent, I own one no problems. Contrast and Brightness are on track. Even tested games on them works fast and quick no lag time.

But the IC Power monitors have a short life... about 18 to 24 months, in our experience... We see a lot of failurs of IC Power, Envision, KDS, and Viewsonics.

Umm... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009100

We need more info, but the one above is excellent. Good company (Acer), 5ms response time, 19", and best of all, it's widescreen. Plus it only costs $180. I have it and it's awesome. No bleeding, no dead pixels, it scales resolutions other than 1440x900 so that they take up the whole screen VERY WELL (I can barely tell the truth between 1440x900 and 1280x1024)... Only bad part to it is the stand (only tilts a bit back and forth), but I can easily deal with some this small - especially consider the pros.

EDIT: For a second there I said "and best of all, it's FREE!"... Not exactly sure why I said that, but I meant to say "...it's widescreen!"

This is why

SNGX1275 said:
Then why did you disagree with me when I said you can get HD for free if you have a HD tuner and antenna?

I can't get HD for free,Rogers cable has additional charges for "the tuner"
I can only view what i pay to have transmitted.
Check my Rogers links,I bet you didn't.lol.

I did check your Rogers link, only long enough to see it was a service.

You are still failing to understand a very basic part of my posts in this thread. If you have an HDTV tuner card for your PC, which you can buy in several places, and an antenna to pick up OTA HD, the HD is FREE.

It is not a pay for HD service like Rodgers, how come you can't understand that? I don't think there is any way I can make it any clearer.

EDIT: http://bbauer.gomen.org/ota.htm That ought to help you understand.
Over half the people in the United States can receive HDTV broadcasts for free, though many may not know it (or what it is). This is intended to be an easy how-to on getting HDTV broadcasts.

EDIT 2: You'll probably throw a fit because that says United States and you live in Canada, so I've preemptively dealt with that with this link for FREE OTA HD in Canada -> http://www.digitalhome.ca/hdtv/

zipperman, if you are in a metropolitan area and your HDTV is equipped with an HDTV tuner, you can get an indoor antenna receive HDTV signal directly. My Mistubishi HDTV lets you program a channel to display one of the following, SDTV cable signal, HDTV cable signal or the over-the-air HDTV signal for that channel position. It usually looks better over-the-air than cable and satellite because they tend to compress the signal more for rebroadcast.

There are a lot of flat panel or LCD monitors that look great when new, then up to the first 12-14 months... But the failure rate is extremely high on many of them after that time... screen goes... either goes dark, or turns red or green... the system board in the back or neck goes... and parts are generally unavailable. Even thought the screen is still good.
Be sure you get a warranty that protects you...
I am just one of those guys who believes that a good monitor is one that lasts a long time... so far getting any LCD monitor that will last five years is difficult... yet a good Sony Trinitron, Optiquest, ViewSonic, Phillips or other top CRT monitor will last 7 to 12 years... I am using a Sony Trinitron at the moment that has a 21 inch screen and is already 11 years old... Perfect, but very high price when new.
We do like some LCD's, and of course all our clients wont only those pretty flat panels... so we have to be careful to install something that will last.

Zipperman-I live outside of Atlanta and can receive maybe 3 or 4 channels in TRUE HD with only an antenna. And not pay anything for them Although several others show up in between the channels (ex: 5-3) they are not TRUE HD. Any old anntenna will allow you to receive an HD signal. Well provided your TV is HD ready or you have a tuner.

Of course they will be transmitted

halo71 said:
Zipperman-I live outside of Atlanta and can receive maybe 3 or 4 channels in TRUE HD with only an antenna. And not pay anything for them Although several others show up in between the channels (ex: 5-3) they are not TRUE HD. Any old anntenna will allow you to receive an HD signal. Well provided your TV is HD ready or you have a tuner.
You can't get HDTV with any ordinary TV set.They cost thousands of dollars.
But i'm discussing the real thing options.
For my computer TV in.
I receive all of them,but not in the true HD that costs extra
as my Rogers Cable links describe.
You also need a HD PC monitor,as SAMSUNG explained to me.
So the real thing is not free,just normal Stereo TV.

Are you saying that you cant receive any HD channels with only an antenna? If so you must live far away from the signal.

zipperman said:

Yeah that is correct! Thats wasnt what I was saying at all. IF you have a true HDTV, not HD ready, but HDTV that has the HD tuner built into it. You can receive some HD channels with nothing more that an antenna. And it doesnt cost "thousands" either. You can buy a 52" true HDTV for under $900.00US. Although it is projection.

halo71 - I think its pointless trying to talk to him. He's been clueless since the start and he thinks he knows what he's talking about.

Watch
zipperman said:
Correct, we are talking about computer monitors here and since our disagreement we've been talking about this with a tv tuner card. I've said from the very start with an hd tuner card you can get it free over the air. Do I need to quote myself above for you to see this?
zipperman said:
But i'm discussing the real thing options.
For my computer TV in.
Yes, HD Tuner card.
zipperman said:
I receive all of them,but not in the true HD that costs extra
as my Rogers Cable links describe.
How many friggin times do I have to explain this to you. HD Tuner Card + Antenna gets you Free Over The Air HD Broadcasts you can watch in real HD on your monitor. You don't need your Rogers Cable that forces you to pay for HD if you want it. 720p for your 1152x864, 1080i if you have a larger monitor is what is possible. Those are the 2 broadcast HD signals, it depends on the station which one they do.
zipperman said:
You also need a HD PC monitor,as SAMSUNG explained to me.
So the real thing is not free,just normal Stereo TV.
It is free, I've said that all along. What part of Free Over The Air are you getting confused on?

halo71 said:
Are you saying that you cant receive any HD channels with only an antenna? If so you must live far away from the signal.
Nope, he made it a point to tell me he lived in Canada's largest city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back