What's the difference in RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbabigsexy

I plan on getting 4GB of Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2 next month. On New Egg they have two different sets of 4GB 1066 DDR2 memory. What's the difference in these two types of memory? I don't see any difference other than the price:

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $179

or

CORSAIR Dominator 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Quad Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $337

Now other than the fact the first one has two sticks, which I thought was supposed to be better, and the other one has four sticks, they both look the same.

I plan on overclocking which is why I am getting the 1066 and not the 800. So why is the price difference so drastic?

Granted they are the same capacity in the end but there are still material costs to take into consideration.

As you noted there are an additional two RAM modules. A single 1GB RAM module probably costs a very similar amount for the company to produce as it would for them to produce a single 2GB RAM module.

An extra two modules means it costs them more to manufacturer, and ultimately costs you more to purchase.

Err Raybay, how did that contribute to this thread, other than restating what bubbabigsexy had said above?

But as a consumer, is there any advantage of getting the 4x1 as opposed to the 2x2? I mean if they are both going to do the same thing and give me the same quality performance, I would assume buying the cheaper one would be better. I will have Vista X64 in my new computer, which is why I am getting the 4GB. I don't see any use for 8GB in the future. But 2x2 is half the price of 4x1. Any suggestions? If the 4x1 is a lot better than the 2x2, then I will get that one. I just don't know if it would be worth the extra money.

The 1 GB sticks might have faster timings and thus be better suited for overclocking (for example, 4-4-4-15 vs. 5-5-5-18). At least it would explain the big price difference.

RAM is a commodity. Prices fluctuate daily.

Also no-one has mentioned the fact that some motherboard systems handle 2 sticks better than 4 due to voltage reasons. If he intends on OC'ing, 2 sticks would provide better control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back