What's your favorite search engine?

Your favorite search engine

• Total voters

kitty500cat

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what people's favorite search engine is. I prefer Google, but I know there's other good search engines online and I'm wondering what other people prefer.

Regards :)

I like Google, partly because of Google Maps.

Go to Google Maps, under "Get Directions", and search for directions from "New York City, NY" to "London, England." Then go down to #24! :D

:haha: You should start your own poll on how many people followed that advice. I did.

At least Google has a sense of humor (also evident on April Fool's Day) :D

After a very long time I've been to the altavista site. Its changed alot, they've made it look a bit like Googles homepage.

Google keeps flagging up wikipedia entries when you search, which I find suspicious. If I want to use Wikipedia I could just go to that site. Why does Google keep popping it up?

Any takes on how to get the best results?

I like Google because it is very clean looking. I find live, and yahoo, to cluttered. I also love froogle (recently changed to google products)

I love google, it usually suits my needs (for results) just right...

I could use other engine like yahoo or msn, I know those have got much better in the past couple of years, but on a daily basis I simply don't find myself needing more than one search engine.

i really don't have a favourite, but after saying that, i do tend to use google more though

Ok I'll chime in rather than just answering the poll. I use google, initially I used it because it was pretty good (looks/simplicity and results), but now I use it just because its my default search engine in my browser, so I don't go to the google page to search anymore. I also found out (for the Opera users) that if you type "g what you are searching for" in the address bar you get google results.

I've tried using google's personalized home page, and while I do like it, I am content with my current home page so its pretty rare that I use it. Yahoo also has a personalized page for me that I've setup, but again I already have a homepage I like so no reason to change.

So basically, I use google because thats what my browser defaults to in the search box.

Actually, from what I've discovered, you don't even need the "g" unless your search query is only one word (in Opera).

I use Google, to start, but after about the first 25 results, I start using Yahoo and then MSN because I find that they each offer unique results on a particular topic. Have not been to Alta Vista in a while and will check it out, too, to see if I should start using it. Has anyone used the meta-search engines lately, (e.g., dogpile, mama, etc.?) I know dogpile is still around...

kitty500cat said:
Actually, from what I've discovered, you don't even need the "g" unless your search query is only one word (in Opera).
In my case I have configured Firefox so that whatever I type on the address bar becomes a google search, unless it's a full URL, of course. A real time saver a la Opera.

I think that if you're searching for something like a file name, i.e. svchost.exe, it will probably think you're looking for http://svchost.exe/ and try to go there. If you just type in svchost, it will probably append a .com to it. That way you can just type in google and it will bring up http://google.com/.

Firefox is cool too, but I'm used to Opera and don't feel like trying to switch. Then I only use IE for IE-only sites.

I used to use altavista alot about 5 or more years ago. Its a shame really I think that only google gets used and not the others.

Any pros/cons of each search engine?

i use google but thats not bcoz its my fav but just that since i've got into comps the only search engine highlighted is the google itself
i think if others can publicize their products as much as google does then people will start using them as well
u dont get to hear bout altavista or any other engine as much as u do get to hear bout google
likethe tool recently launched by them - "google earth" it keeps them in the news n people get to know bout them more
well i think the credit shud go to google for the hard work they put in to stay ahead of others in the business .... cheers

IMO, if one don't want to be tracked, you'd have to unplug your pc, get rid of your smartphone & any other internet connected devices you may have.
Oh, throw out your checkbook & credit cards & pay ONLY in cash. Then you might not be trackable.

Back