Which AMD CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ASRock 939 Dual-SATA2 MOBO with a AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor. I have 1024 mg of ddr ram. My video card is a Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS (agp).

I'd like to upgrade my CPU and I'm confused as to what to get. The MOBO is socket 939 so I could go with the Athlon 64 series, the XP series or the 64 X2 series.

My mobo has an AGP and a PCIe slot I may someday upgrade my video card to a PCIe card.

I am a casual gamer, mostly 1st person shooters. Doom3 - new half life - Quake 4. I also do a lot of work with music files. Currently converting my records into MP3 files.

AND - I'm trying to stay at about $250 or less for the CPU. So we're talking the Athlon 64 4000 - the Athlon 64 X2 4400 - or the Athlon FX64.

Which one will be best for what I'm doing with the computer?

Thanks!

AMD 64 3800 X2 is out now, cheaper then the 4200 and with a little OC can reach 4200 speed on most mobos with no probs. (that's if you like to do that sort of thing).

Um I don't think you can get an FX series CPU for under $800. (well maybe a FX55)

...the XP series or the 64 X2 series.[/QUOTE]

The XP series is not even made anymore, so I would stay away from that....

Wow, you have almost exactly the same comp as me! Except your vidcard is better. :) I'd say if you're going to get an X2, get at least a 4200.

Yeh the 4200+ is good. If you are also concidering upgrading your motherboard in the near future I would spend then extra $120 on a new mobo and buy a e6300 intel CPU as it absolutely rapes the 4200+.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back