Motherboard or CPU first?

• Motherboard

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • CPU

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just a curiosity question, when building a computer from scratch, what do ya'll choose to do first:
Pick a CPU and then a compatible motherboard?
Pick a motherboard and then a compatible CPU?
Or something different?

I tend to base my component choices around the CPU. A motherboard will provide effectively no performance increase for your system, and serves as a sort of connector for all your other components.

Definitely choose your CPU first, as it is a much more important decision.

That being said, it is still important to get a good quality motherboard.

I agree with LukeDJ

The motherboard is probably the most important component in the system. The motherboard must support all the features you want in a system at the time of purchase. An OEM Windows license is even bound to the motherboard during activation. However you must pick a motherboard based on all the components you want to use. And the CPU should be the first component you pick for a system.

It's agreed then, CPU first, because, for instance, if the CPU is unlocked, you'll want a higher-end board that supports stable overclocking, but if it has a locked multiplier, a much cheaper board/chipset can be used (and a smaller power supply, cheaper case with fewer fans, etc).

Well said guys. I never base my decisions on a motherboard since the chipset model relies on the CPU provided.

Back