Which fan is making the noise??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelvis

My 2 month old computer is sadly annoying me. The noise of it!! Its not greatly loud, but enough to ennoy me especially since I listen to so much music on my pc.
I have 6 fans, 2 on the psu which i think are quiet, as small one on the motherboard which Im guessing is silent, one on my graphics card which i think it pretty quiet too. Then theres the cpu one which obviously makes some noise but I've turned on 'quiet fan' so its only running at about 1200rpm. This leaves a huge big fan at the back and I think it could be this. I've felt the back and theres a huge suction of air. I want to know if this is likely to be the fan making most of the noise and whether you'd recommend replacing it and what with.
It doesnt help that theres a vent in the front and 2 side vents either but they must be there for a reason.
Note, I also have a fan on the side panel which isnt plugged in since i dont need it.
So any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Yah, it can be hard sometimes to tell which one is the bad guy.

In general though, it is the smaller fans that are the noisy ones. Luckily, once you find which one it is, you can replace it. There are many excellent (quiet) fans on the market these days.

What motherboard to you have? I think the loudest fan on my computer is the chipset fan. I have the A8N-SLI deluxe, followed by my CPU (stock AMD) fan. My 12 inch case fans are SUPER quiet.

I have an Asus A8N-E, look at my profile lol!
Thing is to know which fans are making the noise, how do you stop them?
Id like to know if it is the big one at the back whatever thats called?

Well as long as it isnt on your CPU, you can certianly unplug it for a bit to see if it quiets down.

zephead said:
yeah, but don't get it into your head that you can do that with the power on...

What unlpug a fan? I dont see that being a big deal. I mean not leave it off...but just unlpug for a short amount of time to see if the noise stops. Like process of elimination.

AtK SpAdE said:
What unlpug a fan? I dont see that being a big deal. I mean not leave it off...but just unlpug for a short amount of time to see if the noise stops. Like process of elimination.

He might have meant that you have to be careful since there is quite a bit of electricity running through a computer. I'm just giving my opinion on what zephead seemed to be saying, I am likely wrong. If zephead was talking about the CPU overheating then i dont think it's a big deal either to unplug it for just a little bit to see if that fan was the problem.

lol reminds me of when I unplugged my fan for a second I highly suggest you power down first, when I went to replug my fan a nice big spark flew out and the computer shut off, the power light still on :) , but no loading and nothing on the monitor all lights on the keyboard lit up, I turned off the PSU still everything was on so i just unplugged it for wall and it was fixed.

edit: what I do to tell is just lightly place your finger in the middle part of the fan, it worked well someone on the forums helped me with that and I found the problem right away.

it's not the amount of time a part is plugged in or not, it's the fact that you're changing it. unplugging a fan during system operation may or may not damage anything. it's simply a risk, one that most of the time ends up with the guy shopping for a new psu.

the best thing to do would be to disconnect your harddrives and try hooking up one fan at a time. this way you can find the noiseiest fans, turning the power off each time you connect/disconnect a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back