Which gigabit AC router?

Dear All,
Recently got 1000/200Mbit internet installed at home, but the supplier provided router is only bgn capable. I'd like to buy a reliable gigabit router with stable AC wifi, that does not reboot/disconnect etc all the time, but maintains a stable high-speed wifi connection (I know an AP would be enough, yet I prefer to buy a router). There are LOADs of options in the $150 range but also a lot of bad reviews of all. These I looked at more or less:
ASUS AC87U
Netgear Nighthawk EX7000
Synology AC1900
D-Link DIR-890L
Linksys WRT1900ACS
TPLink C9
I dont expect to be able to fully utilize the gigabit connection thru WIFI, but I'd like to have a very stable and fast internet connection even thru wifi, no sudden disconnects, router reboots etc. Can you suggest here? I dont need to stick to one of the above, just to give you an idea of what I've been checking.
Thank you in advance,
Balage

So you have ISP===Modem/Router and you want to add modem/router ---- AP, Extender or WiFi router?

The problem is you have daisy chained three logical devices.
  • the ISP Modem
  • its internal router
  • and now your AP, extender or yet another router
I'm sure you known the "weakest link in the chain" story and that's what you will be facing. Putting speed issues aside for the moment, YOU need to ensure that the latest firmware is running in the Modem/Router box. DEMAND to have the admin password so you can configure the settings. Without ensuring 100% reliability in this box, nothing you add downstream to it will improve the situation.

BTW, I've always been partial to Netgear and have a primary router, a switch, an EoP device and a WiFi router attached to it - - ALL Netgear and rarely need to restart the primary.

Lots of people like Linksys, but I can't get enough control of the settings to suit me.

Thanks for your answer, sorry if it wasnt clear.
The ISP gave me a ZTE modem/router that does it's job well over wired, but has no AC wifi. So technically I could buy an AP, yet I prefer to buy a router because I think it's more future proof in case I ever need the routing function (also I have the possibility to use the ZTE device only as modem, the ISP will switch off the router part if I ask them to). Right now I would use the router I plan to buy as an AP+LAN switch without routing. I do have the admin user for their device on the other hand, already changed what I need (not much, new SSID, port forwarding mostly).
Ofcourse you are right, with the weakest point in the chain part, but I need a wifi device connected to the modem/router anyways if I want to go higher than BGN what this device is capable of. It's just a little hard to decide when (short time) tests show all these routers as great, however long-term users complain a lot about stability as I saw in various feedbacks.

Last edited:
Ok! Similar to myself- primary w/o wifi.

Leave exist router active - set or have isp alter the MTU to 1492 which will defeat packet fragmentation and improve reliability. If you can get the password then you manage the whole network from this device, and disable DHCP in the new one. Also set MTU in the wifi router.

Thanks for your answer, will do. One question remains still open; which router? Which Netgear do you use (if it's up for gigabit)?
More or less these might be in game still:
ASUS AC87U
Netgear Nighthawk EX7000 or other?
Linksys WRT1900ACS (maybe with DD-WRT?)

I don't game and b/g/n has been fine for me. Frankly, IMO, GB is oversold -- a good, reliable 100mb network will suffice 99% of home users. Remember that your link clear up to the ISP would need to be GB for all of your lan devices to benefit - - unless you're hosting lan parties with 100s of guests.

Here's my network; solid lines are wired, dashed are wifi and the EoP is house wiring. This has worked for years now and it's the wifi where the growth has occurred. We stream to the Samsung, WDtv and the iPad minis all the time. The WiFi router is a NG WNR2000V2. NB:- while the wifi is at the other end of the house, the printer is in the computer room with the Gateway router :grin:

upload_2017-10-28_12-21-2.jpeg

Thank you very much once again :)
The thing is that my desktop PC is on wifi, and it's like 3 meters away from the router, still I cannot solve the cabling (if I dont wnat my wife to kill me that is :) ). On one hand I'd like to have a stable connection (who doesn't) as playing some MMO's for example, on the other hand I move large files between the wired NAS and my desktop on a regular basis, and I'd like to do that as fast as possible.

Your primary router from the IPS (shown above as the GATEWAY) will have far more influence than the new GB wifi.

If you are experiencing disconnects, SOLVE THAT FIRST.

Back