Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartmike

Hello I want to find out what virus protection is better out of the following:
Defender-Pro
Mcafee
Norton
Or any others.

Out of that list, none of them. Avg is very good and free. Etrust antivirus is extremely good if you want to pay for it.

I agree with Rik, none of them are much better than taping a duck to your case. (Rik will know what i mean ;))

These are good programs, and all free:

Anti virus: AVG or Avast - use only ONE

Anti-spyware: Spybot S&D and Ad-aware - use both

Firewall: Kerio, Comodo or ZoneAlarm - use only ONE
There are multiple version of Zone Alarm, one of which is the free, firewall only version.

what they said ^

If you feel better paying for virus protection:
Bit Defender and Kaspersky are ranked among the best

If you look at their ratings AVG is right there with them and its free, but Kaspersky does scan the same # of files 3 times faster

id say, out of those 3, nortin or defender pro (i have no experience with it though) would be the best. mcaffee is by far the WORST virus protection my parents and i have EVER seen. on my parents old pc, it let in 6 backdoor trojans, not to mention a slew of other viruses and such, without doing a thing. id say norton is pretty good, but ever since the 2nd to last time i had problems with my pc and came here for help, ive moved to avg free, and it very good.

edit: o and btw, the backdoors were all a variant of trojan.backdoor.death . any idea what they do? lol, besides make your pc not work.

Sorry, but how can anyone say Norton is good when it's been proven time and time again to be utter crap. Just have a look at all the hjt logs in the Security and the Web forum for example.
The 2 types of most badly infected pc's are 1 - pc's with no protection 2 - pc's with Norton on there.
Go look for yourself, there is plenty of proof to back up what I'm saying.

I think DP is good

I have Defender Pro 5 in 1 I think its great. I never had a problem using it. It has a lot of features that protects and maintanes my computer.

I have to go with Rik here, Norton is the worst "Security" program ever to roam the pc world. It's more of an invite for malware as opposed to a defender.

To further this point, I'm going to say that plasma dragon00 has it all backwards. Apart from the McAffee being bad part. This just proves that it is also a terrible program, or set of programs.

General rule of thumb is if someone tries to sell you Norton, you scream and run away, maybe adding the odd comment or two about how much they should be fired.

The 1 and only time i have ever seen norton be effective was on a friends parents pc. They had an old, slow pc and a very slow dialup connection.
The only reason norton was effective was because it made their pc go so seriously slow that no malware could get on there because there wasnt enough resources left for the malware to use. Suffice to say that pc would do bugger all.
I know its a bit of a one off, but it illustrates that norton uses up waaaaay too much system resources.

i know, that ever since i started using avg, nortin is crap, but when i DID use it, it seemed to do a... cant think of the word... a mediocre job of cleaning my system, except for the memory it would take by the running scan, and the resident shield too.

but what do you think is better in this case? norton or mcafee?

EDIT: rofl at what you just said Rik

weird. there was one instance where i was with a friend, and we were both on computers, and my pc was running mcafee and did something, but i have no idea what or where or when it did it, for that matter. the main reason i liked norton was for its interface. its interface (at least in my version) is very simple and uncluttered. avg, though, has a bit of a confusing interface to me. most likely because its new to me, and im sure ill get used to it eventually.

one question: how does grisoft release new signatures for avg free every single day?!?!? sure i like being protected but i kinda dislike how it lags me at startup when it auto downloads the new updates. anyone know how to make it update at a specific time? like say 4:00 pm every day.

EDIT: not trying to turn this thread into something about my own problems though...

For paid AV protection, nothing beats NOD32. It has a super-light footprint and is very fast at picking up viruses, trojans and the like. It also scans very thoroughly and relatively fast compared to other AV programs and the updates are very small (200-300KB at most), making it an excellent choice for a paid AV solution. I've been using it for the past three years and it's been superb so far.

plasma dragon00 said:
anyone know how to make it update at a specific time? like say 4:00 pm every day.

Right click on the AVG logo in the task tray (by the clock ;)) and click Open Test Centre. Then click on Service (menu at the top of the screen) and click Schedule Daily Update. You can then choose a timeframe for it to update in but i think it usually does it near the beginning if your pc is on :)

Daveskater said:
Right click on the AVG logo in the task tray (by the clock ;)) and click Open Test Centre. Then click on Service (menu at the top of the screen) and click Schedule Daily Update. You can then choose a timeframe for it to update in but i think it usually does it near the beginning if your pc is on :)

mine was a totally different place, but at least i was able to find it. thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back