Which is better: Installing case fans to mobo or to PSU?

Atham

Hello,
I read that case fans can be installed on the motherboard or PSU. When installed on the motherboard then you can adjust the speed, however the motherboard would need to have enough power to keep the fans running or else some might stop spinning.

I will be getting the GA-990FXA-UD5 and either the Corsair HX750 or HX850. I will be using 5 case fans.

Does the motherboard have enough ports or channels for 5 fans? I heard that there are some converters for more fans or something like that. Heard a guy say it on YouTube, but he didn't say what type converter.

Thanks

Generally a motherboard will provide 4 fan headers for connecting fans. CPU. POWER and 2 x CASE/CHASSIS. If you are running more fans and are not concerned about having them speed controlled by the motherboard you can connect them directly to the PSU. Several splitters are available for connecting more fans to the motherboard. I used a splitter that allows 3 fans to be connected one header on the motherboard and a connection from PSU for extra power ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK )
CB-031-AK_200.jpg

This was for the use of the H50 Corsair water cooling unit when I had 2 fans running in push/pull configuration on the radiator connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard and the pump housed in the casing above the heatsink part connected to chassis fan header with no speed control enabled as it is required to run at full speed all the time. This cable allows the motherboard to control fan speeds.

Although a more basic splitter without external power connection or speed control will most likely do the job ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-013-AK&tool=3 )
CB-013-AK_200.jpg

Thanks. So I will have to buy two of those first splitters, for five fans. Pretty expensive those splitters.

Is it a good idea to have all the fans controlled? The system fan and the power fans are for the case fans, right. That is 3 fans used, and two fans plugged into PSU, I guess.

Is it a good idea to have all the fans controlled? The system fan and the power fans are for the case fans, right. That is 3 fans used, and two fans plugged into PSU, I guess.
I'd usually only really want fans speed controlled if I has particularly noisy case fans or had the PC on 24/7 in my bedroom or something. Generally have case fans running at full speed as unless you buy noisy high performance ones they don't generate that much noise in the first place. That's my own personal opinion, but some people like all fans/cooling scaling up or down depending on system and cpu temps.

Back