Which memory speed is the best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a P-4 D 945 and also bought a new mob which is an Abit AB9-Pro. I read that its not much good to buy the ddr2 800 if my cpu is only 800fsb. Is this true? Damn memory is so expensive! If I only need 667 memory then why pay more for the 800? Is there that much of a difference in performance from 667 to 800? Also, all this info about latency timings clouds my thinking! I'm usually just a gamer with a pci expressX16 evga 6800 ultra.My max memory for my mob says 8 gigs but I also read that windows xp may only recognize 3 gb? I have 4 ddr2 slots,2 - channel. I'm going to start off with 2X1gb in dimms 1and3 then mabe in a couple of paydays I'll get 2 more 1gb sticks.Ive been watching Pricewatch and they have a pair of corsair 1gb(DDR2 6400/ 800 XMS2),$240.00 after rebate and is rated a 5 egger. seems to have alot of good reviews on newegg but some not so good,alot of DOAs.Any input would be much appreciated!By the way, my mob is abit ab9-pro with an intel 965 chipset.I know some boards are picky with which type of memory to use.Does anyone know the best compatible memory for the 965 chipset board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back