Which One??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekolo

I have the chance to get XP Pro or Win 2k Pro. I heard the the Pro versions are not good for games. Games is what I do most on my computer. Which one would be better for playing games??

XP Pro is the best OS out there right now. There is no problem with games either, at least not with XP, though win2k would need the compatability feature installed if you are going to play some older games. WinXP Pro installs this by default.

XP is definately the better choice for gaming. Especially older games, XP has a much better track record (in my personal experience) with compatibility in older games. Driver support for newer hardware also seems to be better, particularly in the video card department, which of course is one of the biggest impacts on current games.

2K Pro has & is working fine for me. I installed XP & ended up disabling all the new features, turning it back into a 2K pro so I thought I might as well stick with the original & avoid the cleansing process.;)

It's true that when it comes to old games ( especially DOS ones ), 2K wouldn't be too recommended but it's just easier to get an old machine install a 9x OS on it just in order to play those games.

If you go the XP route, you might as well get XP Home if the only thing you will do with it is gaming. XP Home is cheaper & the Pro version has features such as DualCPU support ( HT is enabled on XP Home, mind you ), DualView ( with more then one card ), NTFS supports, etc that you probably won't use.

I have put XP home on several machines and you have the same option of using Fat32 or NTFS when installing.

Originally posted by Didou
This page seems to report the contrary.

Look at the Encrypting File System section.
That page says that the 'Encrypting File System' is not supported. This is a feature of NTFS, but it doesn't need to be activated. That page simply says that the Home edition of winxp doesn't support ntfs with encryption, but it does support ntfs.

I stand corrected. I haven't used XP much, even less XP Home. I still stand behind my choice of XP Home for his situation though.:)

In case you want to play old games, I stumbled on this page not so long ago.

DOSBox

It might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back