Which PSU for this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyxoz

Hello everyone.
I need to buy a new PSU, as my current one causes blackouts.

My system is:
Pentium 4 3,2 GHz Northwood
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
2x512mb Kingston Valueram PC3200
120gb Maxtor HD
CD/RW og DVD combo drive
Floppy drive
1x 80mm fan
1x 120mm fan
Zalman 7000b-AlCuLed CPU-cooler
USB laser mouse
Onboard 5.1 soundcard

Which one would you suggest? I would prefer if it costs max $75 US (converted from my currency).
Thanks in advance.

I would say something like Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W
but it is around $75 base unit.

Where do you live so we can find a location where you can buy Computer parts?

What psu are you using at the moment??? What wattage is it??? And are you sure that the psu is causing your problems???

I would say something like Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W
but it is around $75 base unit.

Where do you live so we can find a location where you can buy Computer parts?

Would Antec Smartpower 400W not work? It costs exactly $75 with shipping for me.
I live in Denmark, so it'll be pretty hard for you to find locations ;)

What psu are you using at the moment??? What wattage is it??? And are you sure that the psu is causing your problems???
I'm using some weird PSU called Macron 400W.
No, I'm not sure about it, but I HAVE to use a process of elminination, as I've been told it can be both a heat problem, a PSU problem and in worst cases a memory problem.

Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to monitor temperatures and voltages and post here anything out of the ordinary!!!!

Also

Google and get memtest and test all your ram with at least 8 passes!!!!

Rik, my CPU temp is 64 celcius degrees under full load, which is a little high, but I don't think it should cause a black out.
The screen irregularly goes black - only under full screen games. The monitor says "no signal", the fans are still running, the lights (num pad) is still on on my keyboard and the sound stops playing immediately.

I've run the Memory Diagnostic Tool by Microsoft under boot for 30 minutes without a single error.

But my screen seems to go black irregularly under programs or games, that heavily loads the GPU. I ran a graphics card stability test for 15 seconds and it went black. But after restart it didn't even go black after 30 minutes of testing.
I started using an old graphics card - Geforce 2 MX 32mb, which has caused no blackouts at all. It's only caused the screen to freeze, not blackout once, where the sound stopped as well. But as this card basically sucks for games, and as I only borrowed it, I'm not gonna use it permanently ;)

I've ran CPU benchmarks, which put the CPU to its max temperature, but it never resulted in a black out.

My own theory is, that either there's something wrong with the PSU or else it doesn't happen with the Geforce card, because it uses less watt than my Radeon card - too low watt on my PSU?

Your problem sounds more like its the graphics card overheating!!! Check the fan on it to make sure its spinning ok and that it isn't caked in dust!!!!

rik said:
Your problem sounds more like its the graphics card overheating!!! Check the fan on it to make sure its spinning ok and that it isn't caked in dust!!!!

My fan is running, and it's not dusty. I used ATITool earlier, which reported a 82 celcius degrees GPU core in games! But I'm not sure, if it was the real temperature, as I've used Everest Ultimate, which only reported 50ish. I'm not sure if it was GPU core, but it was nowhere near 80 in Everest.
I've heard, that 82 celcius degrees shouldn't be a problem on a GFX-card, but are you sure it'd cause a blackout?
I've asked a lot of people about this, and they've all said PSU or overheating. So I guess it's just about to start somewhere.

Would it get rid of my problem, if I changed the GPU-fan?

Might really b overheating. open your case sidepanel see does it help? if its help get new good ventilated case or add some new fans..btw does PSU fan/fans spinning normally. finally getting new quality PSU is anyway smart move..

kangaruffian said:
Might really b overheating. open your case sidepanel see does it help? if its help get new good ventilated case or add some new fans..btw does PSU fan/fans spinning normally. finally getting new quality PSU is anyway smart move..
All right, I'll see what I can do. I forgot to say, that I'm already running with only one side on my case.

I'll let one of my friends look at it on thursday.
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back