Which router is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlander83

hi guys
im trying to get a router with the following.
1- at least 4 wired ports and wireless.
2- the ability to restrict certain connections and favour others.
3- not too pricey.
4- good for gaming on the wireless. (ps3)

its a case of i live with 3 others who really tear the **** out of the connection which means i cant play online hardly at all.
at the moment i am using a d link DI-624+.

any suggestions.
thanks in advance.

1 covers pretty much every wireless router out there. I do recommend something with two antennas for better wifi coverage.
By 2 you mean quality of service (QoS) - look for it in the router specification
3 depends on how much "pricey" is in your opinion
4 is IMHO almost impossible. Wireless is laggy and unreliable by definition. Do consider a wired connection for your PS3

Hello outlander83! Welcome to techspot!

Let me share my experience with you, I had a Linksys WRT54G (about $45) which is an old Router 802.11g at 54Mbps and had incosistent connections through the PS3 and Wii, so upgraded to a Belkin G+ MIMO ($65) and I still have awful connections, I've tried everything! move router, move consoles, change channels, get rid of 2.4ghz phones, etc! no luck!

So, my next and last try will be the Dlink DGL-4500 which is about $170 if that doesn't work I'll move to a damn wired connection because is a lot of money already invested and still so many trouble, if you are not willing to deal with this then I suggest to go wired as Nodsu suggest

yea i think you guys are right. the router im using only has 4 wired ports though. i do have an old addion router. is there any way to hook the 2 routers up together so i would have 7 ports between the 2 of them?

Ohyes and we have about a dozen threads about connecting two routers here. Just search for them.

Old wired router use as the main connected to the 8-port wired switch connects the wireless router as access point then go from their...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back