Which Speed???

top_model_guy

I was thinking about getting that verizon $14.95 a month deal for DSL, but I read some bad things about it so I'm questioning it. Is the speed good for music downloads about 4 MB and video clips around 20 MB. Or should I look into something else. Any suggestions?

P.S. If possible can you tell me how long it would take to download with the speed you suggest.

You can download stuff on dialup too, it is just the time it takes to complete :)

768kbps is not that fast by today standards, but you get what you pay for I suppose. Couldn't find any information about the upload speeds.

Also, are you required to use the service for 12 months? You may have to pay some fine if you decide to quit.

First I went from 56k to 768k, and it seemed fast. But then I got 4mbit and I found out what life is really about. :rolleyes:

In other words, 768 would be good enough for the downloads you want to do in an OK amount of time. I routinely download Linux distros, so that's really the strong point of anything too much faster, in my opinion.

I know that I can download with my current connection it's just that it takes about 15(if I'm lucky)+ minutes a song and that a short clip about 30+ min. so I'm just trying to upgrade at least a bit for a reasonable price. I think the upload speed is 128K I'm not sure though and what does the upload speed control anyway? I just want to know about how long a song/clip would download with that speed connection.

768 is plenty fast for everything. I have 1.5 down and if I could pay $20 a month rather than 30 something I'd drop to 768. The web page loading time on 768 is still really fast, the only thing that hurts is big downloads. But you can work with that with a bit of planning (only download big stuff when you go to work/school/sleep).

Upload speed doesn't affect much since most people don't upload large quantities of data. I'd be wary if your upload speed is lower than 256 though. If you are thinking of getting into torrents upload becomes more important if you want to keep a decent ratio. Sending large pictures or music over email or IM also will hurt if your upload is too slow.

Most people's upload is pretty slow compared to their download. I've got 1.5 down and 384 up, 384 seems to be a pretty standard upload speed for 1.5 to 3+ down.

I have a question.

Where can i go in my settings/control panel to see my actually connection speed?

My apt. complex says it has a T1 line, but I think its a lie, seeing as my normal DL speed is 4.5 kbps. which IMO is horrid.

any help would be great

You can't see your real internet connection speed anywhere.

You can use a download speed test web site near you or just time a big download from a very close server manually to get some estimate.

Mind you, your download speeds depend on what and how you are downloading from where. Plus, other people in your building are using the same connection too.

Back